Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Review of Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

The bit on the back…

Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn't have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with her first weekend off in almost a year.

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she'll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever - even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.


This is the first book in Jamie McGuire’s brand new New Adult romance series The Maddox Brothers. It follows on from Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster which have both been reviewed here on the blog. I fell so hard for Travis Maddox when I first read Beautiful Disaster that when I saw Jamie was releasing this I knew without a doubt that I’d be reading it! While I was on holiday I received an e-mail from the wonderful girls at The Hot Bed telling me that I was going to be getting a copy of Beautiful Oblivion through the post – cue happy dance! I literally had the package opened before I’d even unpacked my suitcase!

The story is all about main characters Camille and Trenton. Trenton we’ve already been introduced to in Beautiful Disaster as Travis’ brother. Camille has grown up under a hateful father and the watchful eye of 4 brothers and is desperately trying to live her own life. Her absentee boyfriend TJ is continually pulling her heart apart with his last minute calls for work and when Trenton Maddox wanders over to her table in The Red and wanders into her life in a big way their hearts and their fragile family relationships are threatened.

Let me just get it out there that I absolutely loved this story right from the beginning. I was expecting big things and this book without a doubt delivered that for me. Camille’s character was really easy to like quickly and to begin to feel invested in her story right from the beginning. The entire story is told from her narrative which helps to enable that but it also allows you to completely fall for Trent through her eyes.

Camille has this almost never present boyfriend who really irritated me from the beginning until about the half-way point of the book. He seems to totally disregard her feelings and puts his work above her. I really wanted her to just get rid of him but all throughout she had this tie to him that she couldn’t break which isn’t revealed to the readers in its entirety and that secret percolates throughout the story until the very last page. Trenton is like a balm for Camille, soothing her heart ache when TJ fails to follow through again and again. I adored him. Really just adored him. I loved that he had the bad boy exterior to match Travis but he also had this really sweet side to him.

Trent has his own back story and carries around his own guilt from a tragedy in his life which explains some of his softer side. I loved that Camille got to see it, and know him as this gentle caring guy.

If you enjoyed Beautiful Disaster and enjoy Jamie’s writing style you will definitely enjoy this story. There is a massive secret winding its way through the story from the beginning and it’s not revealed until the very last page. It is ASTOUNDING. You won’t believe it when you read it! The thrill of reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time is replicated here with the first in this new series. I can’t wait for the next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...