Sunday, 13 July 2014

Review of The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 by J.B. Morrison

The bit on the back…

Frank Derrick is eighty-one. And he's just been run over by a milk float.

It was tough enough to fill the hours of the day when he was active. But now he's broken his arm and fractured his foot, it looks set to be a very long few weeks ahead. Frank lives with his cat Bill (which made more sense before Ben died) in the typically British town of Fullwind-on-Sea. He watches DVDs, spends his money frivolously at the local charity shop and desperately tries to avoid cold callers continually knocking on his door.

Then a breath of fresh air comes into his life in the form of Kelly Christmas, home help. With her little blue car and appalling parking, her cheerful resilience and ability to laugh at his jokes, Kelly changes Frank's extra ordinary life. She reminds him that there is a world beyond the four walls of his flat and that adventures, however small, come to people of all ages.


Firstly thank you to Natasha at Pan Mac for sending me a copy of this book to read and review, and also thank you to J.B. Morrison himself for the guest post about his love for independent book posts and you can check that out here!

This is the story of Frank Derrick. He’s 81 and finds himself with a broken arm after being run over by a milk float. On returning home from the hospital he agrees to some hope help and that is how Christmas comes into his life.

I absolutely loved Frank! He’s the main character and the story is told from his perspective throughout the entire novel. I didn’t know how much I would be able to relate to Frank as a character but was quickly reassured when I found I could relate to him indirectly through the memories of my Papa. Frank lives on his own, and my papa also lived on his own for about a year and reading this story made me wonder whether my papa and Frank were similar. Some things I could easily see were similar, almost uncanny! I found Frank’s sense of humour really funny with some real laugh out loud moments as he gets up to all sorts of mischief and his dry sense of humour was another thing that reminded me of my papa. On the back of the book it says that this story is familiar and to me it really was in that respect.

I loved how Frank’s story was told in a self-deprecating way, with an honest and insightful account of what it might be like to reach his age, living on your own and then having to manage with the imposition of having a broken arm!


This was a really enjoyable read with an addictive writing style throughout. I was hooked on the novel and couldn’t put it down without a struggle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...