Thursday, 7 August 2014

Review of Poppy Does Paris by Nicola Doherty

The bit on the back…

Paris.

City of love, city of romance.

The last place you want to go to on a work trip when you're in the middle of an epic dry spell. But that's where Poppy is headed, along with her colleague Charlie, who's shallow and annoying but very, very good-looking.

During a white-wine-fuelled session with her friend Alice, Poppy concocts the perfect plan: work by day, and have some no-strings fun with Charlie by night. Of course, it might prove a little more complicated than that, but it's nothing Poppy can't handle - or is it?

Firstly thank you so much to Headline for approving me for a review copy of this book via NetGalley. I was first introduced to Nicola Doherty when I read her novel If I Could Turn Back Time in April this year. I absolutely loved her writing style and ability to tell an unpredictable chick-lit story so I knew I would be looking for more from her!

Poppy Does Paris is the first in a five part series of novellas from Nicola and is all about main character Poppy. Poppy works in publishing and manages to wangle a work trip to Paris to meet a rather dishy author with her younger and also rather dishy co-worker Charlie.

As I’ve said I already really like Nicola’s writing style and it was great to see it continuing in this first instalment. I really enjoy how she makes her characters feel real and make you feel like you’re actually living the story alongside them as their friend rather than a reader. I think there are two ways to read a book, as if you’re taking part and as if you’re watching it all unfold and I loved the inclusive reading experience with this book.

The setting of the story is as the title suggests – Paris. I’ve been to Paris once and would love to go back so this setting triggered a lot of memories for me and the description throughout really brought it all back.


I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of the short books in this series. I read it in under an hour so perfect for a weekend afternoon to bring some Parisian sunshine into your afternoon too! I think readers of Lindsey Kelk and Gemma Burgess will enjoy this as the relationship between character and reader feel similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...