Thursday, 21 August 2014

Review of Rain Shadow Book 1 by Tess Oliver

The bit on the back…

Luke Barringer finds himself in the desert near death, unsure of his name and with no recollection of his past. As the hot sun bears down on him, his will to live slips away, but he can't close his eyes. Sleep is the enemy and now it seems he has found his own slice of hell. But through the mist of his agony, a girl's soft voice drifts over him and the sound of it draws him away from the darkness.

While riding her horse, Evangeline "Angel" Sharpe finds a man bloodied and beaten. Despite knowing that she'll be in trouble for bringing him to the Bedlam MC compound, she takes him home to tend his wounds. While the handsome stranger heals, Angel finds herself falling for him. As the mystery of his past is revealed, she helps him struggle with the truth, a truth that will lead to his true identity . . . an identity that could destroy Angel's world.


Last year, just after I started blogging I was introduced to romance author Tess Oliver. I read the first book in her Custom Culture series – Freefall, and I absolutely fell in love with her characters and writing style. I saw from Facebook that Tess was releasing a new series and I knew without a doubt that I’d be reading them!

This story is all about Luke Barringer. Luke finds himself in the desert not knowing anything about why he was there or who he even is. Evangeline finds him and brings him to her grandfather’s compound which is an incredibly risky move and so begins the story.

I loved that instantly there was mystery created because Luke doesn’t know his true identity. I really enjoyed learning about his character along with him and Angel (Evangeline’s nickname) and I liked how this developed throughout the story.

I liked Angel’s character. I loved her will to do things the right way and how much she really wanted to help Luke even though he was a stranger and she was putting herself in the direct firing line of her Grandfather’s wrath. I think she’s a bold and strong character who is at odds with her surroundings.

Throughout the story the relationship between Luke and Angel grows and turns into more than just a friendship. The change in their relationship felt like a natural progression and was sexy and passionate which also felt at odds with their gritty and violent surroundings.

The setting of the story is completely original and is very violent and dangerous. I loved how I could just accept the setting completely because the narrative is very descriptive and allows you to completely imagine yourself in that environment.

One thing I absolutely loved from the first book of Tess’s that I’d read was the dual narrative from both the male and female protagonists. I loved this because I’d never really experienced it in a romance novel before and I felt like I was getting a sneaky peak into the guys mind and feelings!


There are five books in the series in total and I will definitely be reading them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...