Monday, 22 September 2014

Review of One Step Closer To You by Alice Peterson

The bit on the back…

After Polly ends her relationship with the father of her young son, Louis, she is determined to move on. All she wants is to focus on her job, her friends and to be a good mum. No more looking over her shoulder. No more complications . . .

Then Polly meets Ben.

Ben is guardian of his niece, Emily. They become close, with Polly teaching Ben how to plait Emily's hair, and Ben playing football with Louis. Their friendship is unexpected. Polly’s never been happier.
But when Louis's dad reappears in their life, all Polly’s mistakes come back to haunt her and her resolve weakens when he swears he has changed.

Will she give herself a second chance to love?


Firstly a massive thank you to Margot from Quercus for sending me a copy of this book to review! A thank you is also due to Alice for writing a guest post which will be featured on the blog on release day 25th September 2014. This is the second of Alice’s books that I’ve read, the other was Monday to Friday Man which I read a while ago and remember really enjoying so I was looking forward to getting started with this.

This is Polly’s story. Polly is a single mum, raising her son Louis after leaving his abusive father and their abusive and dangerous relationship. Polly is back on her feet, making new friends and seemingly moving on with her life until the reappearance of her ex threatens to set her back.

I read this in less than 24 hours. I started it and just fell completely in love with the story. I was hooked from the beginning immersing myself in this story about overcoming hardship and moving on with life. I quickly devoured the first quarter of the book in less than an hour and finished the book the next day. So beware, you will be gripped by it from the get go.

The novel flicks back and forward to different scenes from Polly’s past and she also tells the story of her present life. I loved the element of mystery that this gave the whole tone of the novel and how this could be felt from the outset. Instantly I felt a connection with Polly, not with some of the darker aspects of her character but with her will to make a great life for her son and I loved that about her. I love how she didn’t make herself out to be hard done to or let her past experiences map out her life in a dark way. I loved the positivity and I could feel that pulsing throughout the story.

The story is fast paced and I think that’s partly due to the time flip element. We get to learn so much about Polly’s character through hearing from her at different ages and I loved how that developed throughout the story. It allows you to invest yourself in the story and really root for Polly.

Polly’s relationship with Ben was great to read. I loved how Polly could help him through his experience with becoming a guardian to his young niece and I loved seeing the change in his character and their relationship dynamic throughout. I loved the air of innocence that Louis and Emily brought to the story which counters some of the darker subjects that are explored in the story.

Alice has written this story with a great narrative from our main character Polly. It’s tender and heart-warming at the same time as it is shocking, scary and intense. I loved the clever mix of emotions that are palpable throughout and really enjoyed being pulled into this story.


I am so glad that I’ve had a chance to read the story and it’s by far the read of the month for me. I think if you’re a fan of Jojo Moyes you might also enjoy this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...