Saturday, 4 October 2014

Blog Tour! Review of The Prophecies by Holly Martin

The bit on the back…

The world is a big place, will Eve really be the one to save it?

Eve grows stronger and more powerful every day as she strives to ensure she is ready to face her destiny. But some of her gifts are unwelcome.  Eve's visions of the future become darker and those she loves are in terrible danger. But when her actions result in tragedy, Eve is called before The Oraculum, the council that created her

When she is summoned to their castle she becomes aware of a rift between the council members that not only could endanger her life, but could put the whole planet at risk. Would The Oraculum really turn against her and risk everything?

But in the darkness, a light burns bright. Her love for Seth is stronger than any of her powers.
But as she battles against a new threat, can she really forsake those closest to her in order to save the world?  Will everyone Eve loves survive?


Firstly, a massive massive thank you to Holly for sending me a copy of this to review. This is the second book in Holly’s The Sentinel series and I have been eagerly waiting on it since the moment I finished The Sentinel (book 1).

The story follows main character Eve who has been created to save the world. Eve finds out in book 1 that this is her destiny and her life changes forever. The story rejoins Eve and her personal Guard  at the fort where they all now stay and where Eve is in training for the day she’ll save the world.

Just wow. I mean those two words succinctly describe my feelings towards this book – this series so far in fact. I LOVE these characters and I love their story. When I first read The Sentinel (review here) I was in a bit of a reading slump and I decided to give my normal go to genre – chicklit – a little rest and pick up something different. If you feel that YA/YA fantasy is not for you I can seriously tell you that this is a contender to change your opinion.

I loved Eve’s character. She has all these super powers, has been told one day she’ll save the world and she’s just like well ok then, just let me get my shoes on. I love how she’s more or less unfazed by most of the things she is faced with on a daily basis – particularly the threats on her life. She’s strong and bold and willing to fight for her family – her guardians who are all pledged to protect her.

Other than Holly’s magical writing powers this has been pitched perfectly for a YA audience. Eve and Seth’s relationship changed in The Sentinel when the love between them became obviously apparent. Their relationship experiences some ups and downs – I mean I could have punched Seth out sometimes even though he’s my favourite – but it progresses and Holly just writes it so carefully and with the characters experiencing a real tenderness towards each other that really suits the genre.


Edge of your seat reading is guaranteed as Eve’s creators suddenly aren’t so fond of her super human powers. I love how the fantastically creative writing that Holly employed in the first book has carried over into this one. The story is tense, dramatic, packed with adrenaline and romantic too. You will definitely enjoy this if YA is your game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...