Thursday, 16 October 2014

Review: Maybelline v Rimmel Highlighting Concealers

You might have seen my What's in my Make Up Bag post a couple of weeks ago (if not check it out here) and if you did you'll know that I've been using Maybelline Dream Lumi Highlighting Concealer. I bought it while I was in America to wear under the new Estee Lauder foundation that I also bought in America!



Now I'm home though and I've nearly finished the tube that I have. I tried to buy the same product from our nearest Boots shop but they didn't have it in Ivory so I had a look around the shelves and chose another similar product - Rimmel Match Perfection - to try out. Here are my thoughts.




When I was scanning the shelves the Rimmel concealer seemed to be one of the closest to the Maybelline concealer in both look, tone and the fact that it was a two in one concealer/highlighter combo.Although both are "Ivory" they are quite different on application.

Before Blending
(Maybelline/Rimmel)

After Blending
(Maybelline/Rimmel)

The applicator on each is the same small pen brush however the Rimmel tube has to be squeezed for the concealer to come through on to the brush where as the Maybelline product has to be twisted. I prefer the twisting applicator of the Maybelline concealer as you have greater control over the amount that appears on the brush where as more than you may want or need can appear on the Rimmel brush if you squeeze to hard as there is a slight delay before it appears on the brush. I still have to blend with a foundation brush but find the pen brush useful for accurate application.

The wear time for both is long and the feel of both on my skin is great, more so for the Maybelline concealer. I have quite oily skin but find that neither of these exaggerate that.

The Maybelline concealer comes in three shades - Sand, Nude and Ivory - and is £6.99 in Boots. The Rimmel concealer comes in three shades too - Ivory, Soft Beige and Classic Beige - and is £5.99 in Boots. Both of these are relatively "budget" products compared to the leading Illuminating Concealer YSL Touche Eclat coming in at a tidy £25!

My favourite of these two is the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer due to the shade, twist application and overall feel on my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...