Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Review of Abandon by Cassia Leo

The bit on the back…

A steady stream of meaningless sex is all Tristan has left when he discovers the grandmother who raised him is dying and his best friend is getting married. He is lost; and the dark secrets in his past keep coming back to remind him of this.

Until Tristan has an idea that will change his life and fulfill his dying grandmother's wishes: abandon his playboy ways and settle down. And who better to do it with than Senia, the girl who makes him laugh and feel like a kid again.

But when his world begins to crumble around him, the pain Tristan is hiding finds its way to the surface. Will he finally learn to trust again? Or will he abandon his chance at love?


Firstly thank you to Random House for approving me for this title on NetGalley.

This is a spin off from Cassia’s Shattered Hearts series which follows characters Tristan and Senia.
The first thing I did wrong here was not reading the blurb properly because I haven’t finished the Shattered Hearts series and I’ve now given the ending away – not that that will stop me reading it because I actually enjoyed reading the first book. The second thing I did wrong here was actually reading the book which sounds really bad but it just didn’t do much for me at all.

Our two main characters Tristan and Senia are introduced to us right in the very first chapter which confirms two things that you may already know if you’ve finished the Shattered Heart series – Tristan’s a player and a complete ass when it comes to treating women well and Senia has a really poor choice in men.

I may have the unpopular opinion here but Tristan done nothing for me. I hated the way he spoke about and treated women and I understand that this is in part due to his childhood but I really didn’t like this about him. I think his only redeeming quality about him is how much he seems to love his grandmother and sister but I didn’t really like his secretive attitude towards them either.

Tristan’s childhood is elaborated on throughout the story and there are definite elements of child abuse which I didn’t like reading in the slightest and thought that sometimes it went a bit far in the description – devoting whole chapters to his childhood – but when it came to him explaining it to Senia it was rushed, disappointing and seemingly unimportant. I know there is an element of ignorance on my part there because I didn’t like reading about it but actually it demonstrated one fundamental flaw for me.

The story lacked depth. There are a number of different issues which are thrown at you throughout the story but you only get given a glimpse with no development behind it – particularly the child abuse and the other familial issues. This carried over into the characters for me. It was a quick read which meant that the characters had to develop really quickly to get to the “happy ever after” ending and it left them rather shallow, hollow and unbelievable.


Unfortunately this one wasn’t for me but I will be continuing on with the rest of the Shattered Heart series.

1 comment:

  1. A goood review you said what you felt which it great to hear a fab post x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...