Saturday, 11 October 2014

Review of A Christmas To Remember by Jenny Hale

The bit on the back…

Carrie Blake loves her job as a nanny but, while her friends are settling down, all of Carrie’s spare time is spent with other people’s families. Though it breaks her heart, her New Year’s resolution is to embark on a new career and fix her love life.

As Carrie starts her last job, she’s sure she’ll be going out on a high – the house is amazing, the kids are adorable, and she’s in charge of decorating the tree! The only problem could be her boss… single-dad Adam Fletcher might be both handsome and successful, but he’s always working. Doesn’t he realise he’s missing out on precious moments with his son and daughter?

As Adam’s family arrive for Christmas including his sensitive sister, Sharon, and his fun-loving elderly Grandpa, Walter, Carrie realises that she might just have found the perfect allies in her quest to persuade Adam to loosen up. There’s still time for Carrie to make this the best Christmas ever… after all, Christmas is the time for miracles, isn’t it? Let the festivities begin!


Firstly a massive thank you to Kim at Bookouture for sending me a copy of Jenny’s latest Christmas novel to review. I first fell in love with Jenny’s writing last Christmas when I read her novel Coming Home for Christmas so I was really looking forward to reading this.

The story is all about MC Carrie Blake. Carrie is a nanny and spends her life looking after other people’s children and often looking after the whole family’s needs but now she feels like it’s time to put her own life first.

I loved Carrie immediately. A slight worrier, Carrie is a big fan of self-help books and is armed with a phrase or quote to apply to almost every event in her life. I loved this little quirk and how a new quote opened a new chapter throughout the story. Carrie is a really kind and caring character with such a warm personality that you can’t help but love her. I really liked her determination to look after everyone particularly the children in the families she looks after and I really enjoyed reading how she approached changing and enhancing the lifestyle of the children she looks after.

By chapter two I had fallen in love with the story and Carrie’s gorgeous new boss. I actually think that the Hemsworth brothers could fit the position of any book boyfriend and this time Chris was Adam Fletcher for me. Adam is described as this gorgeous guy with a great smile and a successful business. He has gorgeous children but doesn’t realise that he’s missing out on being a bigger part of their little lives. I loved the connection between Carrie and Adam from the start of the story and how Carrie tried to show Adam what he was missing without trying to force a change on him. I enjoyed seeing their relationship and feelings towards each other changing throughout the story and although the narrative is all from Carrie you get a glimpse of what Adam might be feeling through his words and actions and I love that in a book!

The cast of characters surrounding Carrie and Adam are Adam’s family from his parents to his Grandpa and I loved what they brought to the story. I loved how Walter had some wise words for Carrie and just like a papa should, he cheered everyone up with stories from days gone by and dodgy jokes. The kids, David and Olivia are written really well in this story. Their personalities and how they come across in dialogue during the story seemed pitched perfectly for their ages and I found myself really loving them. I can see how Carrie felt about the end of her job coming nearer.

One thing I really loved alongside the story itself was the reappearance of the characters from Coming Home for Christmas – Robert and Allie. I loved catching up with them and getting to see how their story worked out.


This, along with Jenny’s other novel Coming Home for Christmas feel like they could become one of those books that you read every year as a tradition. I absolutely love Jenny’s writing and I definitely recommend it, especially if you are a fan of Paige Toon too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...