Saturday, 15 November 2014

Review of First Position by Melody Grace

The bit on the back…

A man dances the same way he fucks. His stamina, his rhythm, the slow grind of his hips. Some people are born to it, others learn through years of careful study.

And dancers? We do it best of all.

The moment I saw her, I knew. Her innocence is intoxicating. My lust is fierce. Primal. To watch her dance is to know the torment of true temptation.

She will be mine.


Firstly thank you to Mark My Words Book Publicity for approving me for a copy of this to review from NetGalley. I think I was drawn to this by the name and the name of the series that it is the first instalment of – Dirty Dancing. One of my all-time favourite films although I knew to fully expect a much raunchier version thanks to the blurb.

The blurb itself is actually a bit misleading because from a guy’s POV – that guy turns out to be street dancer Raphael – and the majority of this first part is from the “she” in the blurb – Annalise.

Annalise is a ballet dancer in the corps de ballet with her company and she’s desperate to land a main part and live up to her mother’s expectation. The weight of the expectation is almost tangible and I really felt quite sorry for her from the beginning of the story. From films about dancing (Centre Stage and the like) you know that the ballet world is pretty fierce so it felt realistic to have this heavy burden placed upon our main character.

In Italy the members of the company get to relax a little and enjoy some of the local culture including the busking dancers, in particular sexy Italian lothario Raphael. The two have an instant chemistry and that is undeniably linked to their passion for dancing. Annalise’s character is very drawn to Raphael but the description of the effect he has on her actually felt a little unrealistic in comparison to her admittedly limited experience.

I like the whole secretive element to the story with the characters meeting up after curfew to dance and felt like there was definitely strong connection between the two characters. I enjoyed reading about their chemistry blossoming but as I said I found it slightly unrealistic when it was more than their bodies doing the dancing.


As it’s a serial this was short and fast-paced. The writing was fluid although at times a little immature. However I will be looking out for the next in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...