Monday, 29 December 2014

Top 10 Reads of 2014!

Anyone else stunned at how quickly we've got to the end of the year? I cannot believe how fast this year has flown by. At the start of the year I set myself a challenge of reading 150 books. According to Goodreads I've read 170 so you can imagine how hard it was to whittle it down to my top ten! However, after much deliberation and some to-ing and fro-ing I have made my decision. Here are my Top 10 Reads of this year!

Number 10! 

Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan

Read my review here.


I started reading Sarah's books this year and devoured the O'Neill trilogy in quick succession! Two words - Tyler O'Neill. HOT DAMN that guy gives good book boyfriend! I really loved the way that Sarah tells her stories and how, in the series, you get to catch up with the other O'Neill brothers. I definitely recommend this series!


Number 9!

The Story of Us by Ellen Faith

Read my review here.


Ellen debuted this year with The Story of Us and I picked this up as part of the blog tour. I fell completely in love with her writing style which is great if you are a fan of Lindsey Kelk. There is a very realistic quality to the main character Lexi and hottie Ryan Furrows helps too!



Number 8!


What A Girl Wants by Lindsey Kelk 


Read my review here.


I was so, so glad to be back with one of my favourite authors this year! I have loved Lindsey's writing since I first read I Heart New York and I love the way her main characters could very well be your best friend. The narrative makes you feel like your experiencing the story first hand along the MC! This is the sequel to About A Girl and is all about Tess and her love triangle!


Number 7!

Beyond Grace's Rainbow by Carmel Harrington

Read my review here.


This story is truly amazing. I was awed by the writing and in complete emotional turmoil while reading it! Although it was published in 2013 I only got around to reading it this summer. I loved the delicacy that Carmel had when writing about the subject of cancer and thought she handled it in a poignant and sweet manner.



Number 6!

The Dead Wife's Handbook by Hannah Beckerman

Read my review here.


This was another STUNNING 2014 debut. I was so lucky to receive a copy of this from Hannah and Katie at Penguin.This is another real tearjerker which might be obvious from the title but I really, really enjoyed it. The story challenges you as the reader - have you lived your life the way you wanted to? It really makes you consider the "what ifs" in life and reinforces the unpredictability of it all. Amazing writing!


Number 5!

One Step Closer To You by Alice Peterson

Read my review here.


I was very fortunate to receive a copy of this from Margot at Quercus and also fortunate to have Alice as a guest on the blog near the publication date for this touching novel. In my review I stated that it was my favourite read in September, there was no way it wasn't going to be included in my final 10 for the year. It is so cleverly written with an entire mixed bag of emotions throughout. I read it in less than 24 hours so if you've not read it yet I definitely recommend it!


Number 4!

Echoes of Scotland Street by Samantha Young

Read my review here.


This was one of my most anticipated reads towards the latter half of this year and I was so lucky to receive a signed ARC of this! This is the 5th in her On Dublin Street series and is all about Cole Walker who has previously appeared in the series as a younger brother of another MC. Cole Walker is all grown up and has turned into one of my most favourite book boyfriends! He just exudes hotness and the fact that he's a SCOTTISH tattoo artist adds to it all! 


Number 3!

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Read my review here.


I was part of the blog tour for this book this year. One thing I thought right from the beginning of my book blogging journey was that if I was ever fortunate enough to tour with a book by Colleen Hoover or Jamie McGuire it would have been worthwhile and this year I got to do both of those things thanks to The Hot Bed at Simon & Schuster.



Number 2!

Beautiful Player by Christina Lauren

Read my review here.


This is the third in the Beautiful series by Christmas (&) Lauren - two authors not that you can tell! I read it as part of the #SexMeUpReadathon that was running in the summer and I have read it many times since. I am madly in love with Will Sumner!



**Drum Roll Please**

My favourite read of this year is....

Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young

Read my review here.



After reading On Dublin Street it quickly became apparent that Samantha Young was one of my favourite authors. The stunning writing style, true to life character and compelling story lines bring the On Dublin Street series to life and I was eagerly awaiting book 3 at the start of the year. Later in the year Sam sent me a signed copy of this book to complete my signed collection of her On Dublin Street novels. 

This is my favourite from the series, so far, although it was nearly knocked off its spot by Echoes of Scotland Street. Nate and Olivia's story is one of friends becoming lovers and there is just something about that plot in a novel that I love. Of course, the execution of this story together with the plot is what makes it my number 1 read of the year a I really enjoy Sam's writing style.

If you haven't read any of Samantha's books yet then I urge you to make it top of your priority list for next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...