Thursday, 22 January 2015

Review of Before We Fall by Courtney Cole

The bit on the back…

Sometimes before we fall . . . we fly.

One dark moment was all it took to turn twenty-four-year-old Dominic Kinkaide's world black. On the night of his high school graduation, a single incident changed him forever, and he became a hardened man - famous in the eyes of the world, but tortured inside. Now all he cares about is losing himself in the roles that he plays. At twenty-three years old, Jacey Vincent doesn't realise how much her father's indifference has affected her. She tries to find acceptance in the arms of men to fill the void - a plan that has worked just fine for her, until she meets Dominic.

When jaded Dominic and strong-willed Jacey are thrown together, the combination of his secrets and her issues turns their attraction into the perfect storm. It could change their lives for good - if it doesn't tear them both apart . . .


Firstly thank you to Veronique at Hodder for sending me a copy of this via Bookbridgr. I’ve read the first two novels in the series and I can highly recommend both! You can check out the links to my reviews of If You Stay and If You Leave on the 2014 Reviews page!

This is Jacey’s story. It can be read as a standalone as Jacey is a character in her own right however books 1 & 2 tell you more about her past and the other characters who feature in her story. You could also check out the novella that is the prequel to Before We Fall which is called Until We Burn – this introduces us to Dominic!

I knew I would definitely want to read this after really enjoying the first two in the series however after I’d read the novella I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect!

The story is dual narrative between Jacey and Dominic and tells the story of their chance meeting and their rocky relationship following that.  I love a dual POV because it always feels like you’re getting a sneak peek into the guy’s mind and I love how Courtney writes her male MC’s. From the other two novels one thing I wasn’t too keen on about the male POV was that the guys thought they were being weak and womanly feeling and expressing emotions but Dom is completely different to that.

The chemistry between the two characters is undeniable even though they definitely got off on the wrong foot and there was a lot of ill feeling in the beginning. When the characters do get together it is hot! Hot and intense and teasing and I loved seeing an almost light hearted playful side to Dominic which was completely at odds with the darker aspects of his personality.


There is one hell of a plot twist in this already enticing story which left me in a state of utter shock. The story is a real page turner with a gripping storyline and well developed characters. I think, even after not knowing what to expect, this might be my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...