Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Review of Deeper by Blue Ashcroft

The bit on the back…

Lifeguard Rain Wilson can’t afford to get distracted. After a horrible accident at her last park left her emotionally scarred, she’s determined to use her status as supervisor to keep everyone at her new water park safe.

Her co-supervisor Knight McAllister is the worst kind of distraction. Knight’s as gorgeous as he is stubborn, with electric blue eyes, a tall, muscled swimmer’s body, and the opinion that he doesn’t need a co-supervisor at all.

But as the season heats up, so does the temperature between the two head lifeguards. But as they find themselves drawn closer together, and their pasts start to surface, Rain and Knight are realizing that maybe too much broken can make a relationship impossible.

Then again, sometimes it’s the broken parts of us that fit together best.


I bought this book for two reasons. Firstly it was free. Secondly, this book and its sequel share titles with another two book series that I’ve read recently.

Deeper is all about MCs Rain and Knight. The story is set over a summer season. The pair spend time together as lifeguards at their local water park.

There are things about this book that I both liked and disliked.

The story is dual POV which is a big winner for me and is one of the main things that I enjoyed here. Dodgy names aside I quickly started to look forward to reading Knight’s POV more than Rain’s.
Both characters have experienced loss which unties them but also seems to make the storyline a bit samey and repetitive as they experience a lot of the same emotions – so it’s like reading the same thing twice at times.

I found Rain to be quite annoying for a main character. Her experience of loss felt like it was on a much lower level emotionally than Knight although it appeared as if she was suffering doubly. I almost wanted to shake her and say “get a grip”. Her situation in itself felt a bit farfetched for me as well which just strengthened the feeling of her over reacting to me.

The plot is repetitive and Rain constantly finds herself in situations that always involve some sort of sexual or physical threat. After I’d read about it once I was bored reading about that same scenario playing out a second and third time. All of the characters surrounding the MCs seemed so much younger than them which made the story feel very YA.


Without the repetition there would be much less reading to this story. It was ok, but I won’t be reading the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...