Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Review of First Love by James Patterson

The bit on the back…

When Axi Moore decides to take a road trip across the US, the only person she wants to go with her is her best friend Robinson – who she also happens to be secretly in love with. She’s planned it all out, and all he has to do is say yes.

Axi has had a tough life: her little sister died young, her mother walked out and her father turned to the bottle for comfort. Her parents escaped their grief in their own ways; this trip will be hers.
But life doesn’t always work out as you plan it, and there are some things you just can’t run away from.


Firstly thank you to Cornerstone (Random House) for approving me for a copy of this title via NetGalley.

This is the first James Patterson novel that I’ve finished – although not the first one that I’ve started. I liked the title and the cover and those are the main things that drew me to the book.

I’ve grown up around James Patterson novels because both my parents have read most of his books. I’ve tried before as I’ve said but found the short chapters hard to read and enjoy – so I wasn’t sure what to expect here.

This story is all about Axi and Robinson as they take off on the road trip of a life time.

Axi is smart and mature and everything about the road trip seems to go against the grain of her character. A lot of this story is about Axi embracing life outside of her comfort zone. Robinson her partner in crime is the complete opposite of Axi but is similar in so many ways, although the extent of their similarities is not revealed until much later in the book.

With the road trip as the main plot throughout I wasn’t expecting the twist which served to strengthen the bond between the characters and change the feel of the entire story from escapism and freedom to love, friendship and family.


I started to suspect that the story would end in a predictable way. Although I’ve not read it, I’m aware of the similarity between this and another book tackling the same issues. The ending served the story well, reflecting the level of maturity of both Axi and Robinson. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read regardless of the YA feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...