Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Review of Roomies by Lindy Zart

The bit on the back…

Graham Malone is my roommate, my personal eye candy, the reason I get up in the morning smiling (that could be from the illicit dreams I have about him too, I suppose. Let's move on.). He's also beautiful to look at, but his heart is where his true beauty lies. Take away the exterior and the interior still shines.

I love him. I mean, I'm pretty sure I do, having never been in love before. Anyway, it seems legit.

And now his brother Blake is here, and, well, he's the complete opposite of Graham. Sarcastic, brooding, and totally available. But he's leaving soon, and Graham's the one I want. I shouldn't have to remind myself of this, right? I wouldn't have to if Blake would quit looking at me like I'm something yummy and he's starving.

Here's a toast to roomies; the ones you should never fall in love with. Or something.


I clicked onto this after buying Maybe Not by Colleen Hoover. The cover is attractive and the blurb sounded right up my street – romance; love triangle; possible friends to lovers plot. Unfortunately the cover and blurb are about as good as this gets. I could only force myself to read 60%, just over half, so will only be speaking to that portion of the story.

This is about three main characters Kennedy and her roommate Graham, and Graham’s brother Blake who comes to live with them over the summer.

There are a few things that really annoyed me with the writing in this book. Firstly the over use of the phrase “ya know”, secondly over use of full stops and non-existence of sentence splicing which made the attempt to make the narrative conversational and empathetic feel staccato and hard to read in places. There were parts of the narrative that I had to read twice as the sentence structure stopped it from making sense. Thirdly, the story was slow in the main and there felt like a complete lack of story progression. I read to 60% and nothing notable had really happened.

In terms of the actual characters themselves, Kennedy is the only narrator throughout. Kennedy, 22, is living with 27 year old Graham and has been for over a year. Their relationship status is best friends but I really struggled to comprehend how that relationship worked. Kennedy is so very immature and it feels as though Graham has a sort of big brother/father role in her life which was completely at odds with her being “in love” with him. The dynamic felt completely wrong and unrealistic.

Blake is thrown into the mix to supposedly upset the relationship between Graham and Kennedy. Does he achieve this? Well to be honest I didn’t think there was much to upset in the first place. Kennedy is supposedly in love with Graham but their relationship is platonic so I don’t really get what difference it makes.

The implausibility and lack of a realistic concept of time kicks in from the sudden appearance of Blake – who was kept a secret by Graham – and how quickly Kennedy attaches herself to him. Now maybe it’s just me but if she’s so in love with Graham would she be off with Blake within a few days of meeting him?? No, I don’t think so.

I also found the in depth and unnecessary paragraphs, and paragraphs, of description of Kennedy’s job really off putting. Kennedy is a podiatry assistant and reading about clipping toenails and bunion removal does not float my boat in the slightest.


If I could give less than one star I would. I feel like I’ve read a completely different book to those giving 4 or 5 stars. Don’t waste your time or money with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...