Monday, 9 February 2015

Review of The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

The bit on the back…

Kate’s dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she’s still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.

Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he’s a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life.

When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?


Firstly thank you to Albert Whitman & Co for approving me for a copy of this title on NetGalley. This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I was drawn to it by the cover and the blurb.

The story is all about Kate and Aidan.

When I started this book I had to go back and remind myself of the blurb as this has been on my TBR for quite a while. The two characters have both experienced something which is going to change their lives for ever and the thrust of the story is focused mainly on how they go about coping with those changes.

The cover and the title didn’t really match up with the story completely. The title suggest summer time although I didn’t have any particular feeling that it was summer, for example school was still in session and there were no markedly summery days. As for the cover, I don’t even remember a trip to the beach so I don’t particularly think either of them reflected the story well.

Kate and Aidan take turns at telling the story. Kate is 17 and is really quite immature. She appears to be a clever girl but is almost ignoring anything and everything to do with the disease she’s been diagnosed with. It seems to me like the complete opposite reaction of the one that I could picture myself having.

Aidan’s situation is a bit more on the extreme side than Kate and overall he is searching for something or someone to distract him from it so he can get his life back on track. The unlikely friendship is formed from the one similarity they share and the fact that Kate doesn’t seem to have any social etiquette or filter (due to her age) appears to be refreshing for Aidan in a way we can understand as it allows him to feel as though he isn’t so much on a pedestal. However, it makes Kate seem so much younger than him and almost childlike.

The relationship they have goes from friendship to something more and thus the story starts to teeter towards the YA/NA border. Overall the relationship between them started to feel a little forced and I felt like that was down to the age gap seeming more than it was.

The writing in the story conveys well what it could be like to be in Aidan’s situation and although it’s not as common as diabetes it is something that affects many lives. Aidan seems to be very young and having to go through this horrendous ordeal but that also reinforces the reality of it. The portrayal of Aidan’s character felt as though it honoured the real life versions of his situation.


There are things to like and dislike about this book but overall I wouldn’t go back to re-read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...