Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Review of Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

The bit on the back…

Just breathe, Kacey. Ten tiny breaths. Seize them. Feel them. Love them.

Four years ago Kacey Cleary’s life imploded when her car was hit by a drunk driver, killing her parents, boyfriend, and best friend. Still haunted by memories of being trapped inside, holding her boyfriend’s lifeless hand and listening to her mother take her last breath, Kacey wants to leave her past behind. Armed with two bus tickets, twenty-year-old Kacey and her fifteen-year-old sister, Livie, escape Grand Rapids, Michigan, to start over in Miami. Struggling to make ends meet, Kacey needs to figure out how to get by. But Kacey’s not worried. She can handle anything—anything but her mysterious neighbor in apartment 1D.

Trent Emerson has smoldering blue eyes, deep dimples, and he perfectly skates that irresistible line between nice guy and bad boy. Hardened by her tragic past, Kacey is determined to keep everyone at a distance, but their mutual attraction is undeniable and Trent is determined to find a way into Kacey’s guarded heart—even if it means that an explosive secret could shatter both their worlds.


Last year I was part of the blog tour for K.A. Tucker’s Burying Water. I loved it! I loved the writing and the way she told the story totally capturing your attention and your heart. Ten Tiny Breaths has been on my TBR for a long while and I’ve been holding off for ages to try and get my request list down but I finally succumbed to my need to read it!

The story is all about Kacey. She’s a survivor of a drink-drive accident that claimed the life of her family and friends and is all about her fresh start in Miami looking after her sister Livie.

I really enjoyed Kacey’s character right from the start. I loved her determination to provide for her sister, to give her everything she wanted and needed to go some way to filling the gaping chasm in their lives. That earned Kacey my respect right from the beginning of the story. Although on the outside she appeared strong, fierce and independent there was always something that felt like avoidance rather than acceptance of her situation.

The whole cast of characters make the story really enjoyable. Kacey’s neighbour Storm adopts a mothering role over Kacey and Livie although she’s not that much older herself and that relationship felt like a security blanket for the girls and also allowed Kacey to start to open up a bit.

Her other neighbour is the gorgeous Trent Emerson. Trent immediately has this whole bad boy/good guy swagger going on that piques both Kacey’s interest and yours as the reader. I loved that playful way he had but also loved how at times it felt like he was battling to restrain his wild side.

There is one hell of a plot twist which I’ll admit I guessed what was going to happen. However although I knew what was going to happen I couldn’t anticipate the reaction of the characters and that really had me hooked.


I think this would be great for fans of Samantha Young, Colleen Hoover and Jamie McGuire. I’ve already devoured the second and third books in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...