Thursday, 19 March 2015

Review of Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker

The bit on the back…

Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it—the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set—one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game—at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington, DC, major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the West coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year-old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.


Maaaaaaaaaan have I been looking forward to this book! Burying Water (the  first book in this series) was the first book I read by K.A.Tucker although not the first one I wanted to read. Anyway I fell completely in love with the way she told the story I quickly devoured the first three novels in her Ten Tiny Breaths series, so you can imagine I was really looking forward to this!

The story is all about Luke Boone and Clara Bertelli – aka Rain. Clara is an undercover officer interested in Luke’s involvement in his uncle’s illegal side business.

First big bonus for me was the dual POV. I love that in a book and if you’ve read any of my reviews before you will most certainly know how much I love them and why! I love getting a sneaky peek into the guy’s POV. It worked so well here because Clara/Rain had a lot of preconceptions about Luke and presumptions about his lifestyle but when you actually get to read the story from Luke’s POV you can see exactly what his involvement is and appreciate the change in Rain’s feelings towards both Luke and the case throughout the story.

Although I really enjoyed the book and the characters I was wary of Rain throughout because she was deliberately deceiving Luke. I felt so bad for him especially when I could see his feelings for Rain changing into something more. In turn though, and in an almost karma-esque way, Rain’s feelings develop for Luke too which puts her in a tough position.

Throughout the story there is a definite element of danger and if you’ve read the first book it feels like that has carried over as a result of what happened in Burying Water. The threat lingers in the background and is laced throughout the book which keeps you on your toes and keeps you turning the pages. I found the narrative to be addictive anyway as I felt like I could relate well with Clara and her ambitious personality but also through her attraction to Luke. He certainly wins as a book boyfriend for me. The story felt real and I completely bought into both sides of it. I felt completely compelled to keep reading this until I had finished although at the same time I wanted to delay finishing it because I was enjoying it so much!


I can’t wait to read more from K.A. Tucker with the next book in this series due out later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...