Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Review of The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

The bit on the back…

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of a man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush, who calls Bianca the Duff - the designated ugly fat friend - of her crew.

But things aren't so great at home and Bianca, desperate for a distraction, ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a secret enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly wrong. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


Firstly thanks you Hachette for approving me for a copy of this title for review via NetGalley. I requested this on impulse after seeing a poster for the movie and I like to read books before I see the movie so here I am.

The story is all about 17 year old high school student Bianca Piper.

I didn’t know much about this story before I started reading the book other than the title and the fact that it was going to be released as a film. The movie tie-in cover definitely drew me to it because let’s face it Robbie Amell who plays Wesley is pretty damn hot.

This book is inherently for everyone due to the “you know one, you have one, you are one” tag lines. It’s aimed at the YA market but to be honest I think anyone could read and enjoy this. Bianca is the narrator throughout. She has a sharp, sardonic wit. I loved the banter she had with Wesley throughout the story and it really made for a page turning read.

Wesley tells Bianca she is the “DUFF” of her group of friends, in her mind calling her fat and ugly. The stigma of that title never leaves Bianca throughout the story and that sort of made me feel sorry for her. I related easily with Bianca and think that many girls probably will, especially as they go through high school and feel the peer pressure of having to live up to the standards set by other kids. The message that is reinforced throughout is about not changing yourself to fit in with the crowd – be proud of who you are.

The story serves to show that everyone is flawed in some way but the biggest comparison is drawn between Wesley himself and Bianca. On the outside his life looks perfect – player, rich boy, happy family – but the more that Bianca gets to know him the more she realises they are alike.


Just this past week I decided that I wanted to actively take notes on the books I was reading so I would remember everything I wanted to include in my review, one little stumbling block with this book though – I read it so quickly I didn’t have time to write any notes. This is such a compulsive read that tells the story of being a normal teenager in a fresh, witty voice. I definitely recommend this to anyone who can remember high school as well as anyone in the YA age bracket! I will absolutely be re-reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...