Thursday, 2 April 2015

Review of Rachel Does Rome by Nicola Doherty

The bit on the back…

What do you do when your boyfriend of two months cancels Valentine's Day?

If you're Rachel, you book a last-minute trip to Rome. Together with her friends Lily and Maggie, she's planning a relaxing weekend of culture and cappuccinos to take her mind off men altogether. But when she bumps into a figure from her past, Rachel finds herself on a Roman Holiday that features Vespa rides, hot tubs and some very unexpected consequences...


This is the fourth book in Nicola’s Girls On Tour series. So far I’ve been to Paris, LA and Meribel and with this instalment as the title would suggest I was off to Rome! Rome is a place that I have visited before but due to being a young surly teenager I didn’t fully appreciate it. Four years ago on a Cruise day trip I got a feel for the city as an adult and I would love to go back now that I’m older for more than a day!

Rachel is a bit stuck in her ways, she’s straight to the point and a bit stressy when things don’t go exactly the way her perfectionist brain wanted or expected. I felt that vibe from her straight from the beginning but loved seeing the transformation in her as she managed to unwind a little on holiday.

The story is mostly set in Rome and the description of the three friends’ weekend break really transports you there. I could clearly see them wandering through the sunny, cobbled streets stopping for coffee and croissants and also visiting the landmarks such as The Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. I could practically feel the sun on my skin as I read and throughout the series Nicola has had a real knack for transporting you directly into her settings.


The character map at the end of the story is a great help too to remind you who knows who and where you’ve met characters before. I love that when I’m reading a book and a character I’ve previously read about stars in a cameo role. I think this series would be perfect for fans of Paige Toon and Lindsey Kelk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...