Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Review of The Art of Letting Go by Anna Bloom

The bit on the back…

For Lilah McCannon, life has taken a bit of a wrong turn. Engaged to a guy she is not in love with and stuck in a job with her tyrannical father as her boss, life has definitely not turned out the way she expected.

At twenty-five years old, Lilah knows that she has a simple choice: live the life she has created or change it.

Enrolling on a course at the local University, Lilah sets out with some clear rules to ensure her success at being a grown-up. No alcohol, no cigarettes, no boys, and no going home. But the last thing she anticipates is meeting Ben Chambers, the lead singer of a local band. With Ben, it’s instant, it’s hot, and it’s deep, but when Ben is offered the opportunity of a lifetime and it looks like his future lies on a different path to hers, Lilah has some heart-rending decisions to make.

With the academic year slipping by too quickly, Lilah faces a barrage of new challenges. Will she ever make it up the library stairs without having a heart attack? Can she handle a day on campus without drinking vodka? Will she ever manage to read a history book without falling asleep? Most of all, will she be able to make the ultimate sacrifice and learn The Art of Letting Go?


I bought this on a recommendation from my friend Kelli. We have similar taste in books and we are forever recommending books to each other. This is just one in the long list of recommendations I’ve had and I’ve finally gotten around to reading it after buying it quite a while ago.

The story is all about Lilah McCannon. Lilah is the narrator throughout and her voice comes to us in a diarised format. Lilah is a bit lost in life. Stuck in a job she hates and a relationship she isn’t invested in she decides to take matters into her own hands and run away from home, well to the local Uni.

I really liked the sound of the blurb. I’m close in age to Lilah and I also went straight into work skipping uni so I felt I could relate to her on that front (although I love my job – on occasion – and my boyfriend!). I didn’t realise until I started reading the book that it was written like a diary. I wasn’t sure what to think but read on as Lilah’s dry sense of humour and very down to earth, tell it like it is voice drew me right in.

The story follows Lilah through her first year at university and has so many emotional ups and downs I was wrung out by the end of it. I was sucked right into the story and compelled to turn page after page after page. Lilah meets hunky guitar player Ben on her first night of Uni and spends a lot of time making lusty eyes before finally getting together with them. I loved when the pair were together because they seemed to fit so well and their chemistry was evident even though the story is only told from one POV.


I read this in 2 sittings. It’s quite long but as I said it hooks you from start to finish. I wasn’t going to go ahead and buy the next one in the series straight away as I’m supposed to be watching how much I’m spending BUT this is left on such a cliff hanger I had to buy it straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...