Thursday, 7 May 2015

Review of Beautiful Secret by Christina Lauren

The bit on the back…

When Ruby Miller’s boss announces he’s sending her on an extended business trip to New York City, she’s shocked. As one of the best and brightest young engineers in London, she knows she’s professionally up to the task. The part that’s throwing her is where she’ll be spending a month up close and personal working alongside—and staying in a hotel with—Niall Stella, her firm’s top urban planning executive and The Hottest Man Alive. Despite her ongoing crush, Ruby is certain Niall barely knows she’s alive…until their flirty overnight flight makes him sit up and take notice.

Not one for letting loose and breaking rules, recently divorced Niall would describe himself as hopeless when it comes to women. But even he knows outgoing California-girl Ruby is a breath of fresh air. Once she makes it her mission to help the sexy Brit loosen his tie, there’s no turning back. Thousands of miles from London, it’s easy for the lovers to play pretend. But when the trip is over, will the relationship they’ve built up fall down?


This is the fourth book in Christina Lauren’s Beautiful series. The story follows main characters Ruby Miller and Niall Stella. Two barely acquainted colleagues who are about to become much more.

Oh man this is a hard one to write. Unfortunately, and as much as it pain me to say it, I just did not enjoy this book as much as the first three books in the series (particularly no.3 Beautiful Player). I was so excited when I spotted this on Amazon that I had pre-ordered it and started to read it on the release day.

It started so well, with the same intense, sexy promise that has sizzled throughout the stories of the first three books. It was dual POV too, just as the others have been, which in itself is a big bonus for me because I love reading from the male MCs perspective. The book is set initially in London before travelling to NYC which sets it apart from the first three books. The link with the rest of the series is through Niall’s brother Max who was the main character from the 2nd book. I started to enjoy the story and felt like I was going to be in for a winner.

Separately, I liked both of the characters and when they were together in the first instance, although on a work basis, it was evident that there was a chemistry surrounding them in and a connection between them. Unfortunately it went downhill for me just after the characters landed in NYC. Niall is quite different to the three male MCs before him in that he has recently divorced and is unsure of himself in a relationship. I think one of the things I really enjoyed about the characters before him was just how arrogant, cocky and slightly verging on dominant they were. Niall felt completely different and when the relationship between him and Ruby stepped up a gear I just wasn’t feeling it.

I don’t know if there was something about his reserved English nature that just seemed to be at odds with the type of relationship I expected him and Ruby to have but there was definitely something that didn’t sit quite right.


Although I didn’t enjoy the characters together there was inherent enjoyableness due to the fact that it’s written by Christina and Lauren. The wit that they inject into their story, the one liners and quick come backs coupled with the fact that THERE ARE TWO AUTHORS continues to astound me and I will always be a fan based on that fact alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...