Monday, 4 May 2015

Review of Confess by Colleen Hoover

The bit on the back…

Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there's no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn't expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover that Owen is keeping some major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can't seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…


I am a massive fan of Colleen Hoover’s and I had this book on pre-order. Due to my TBR being huge and having some bookish commitments it’s taken me a little longer than I would’ve like to get round to reading this but I can 110% say that it was worth the wait. Sit back and prepare yourself for some wonderful, classic Colleen Hoover.

The story is all about Auburn Reed and artist Owen Gentry. The pair meets as if by chance when Auburn finds herself in need of a job and Owen needs a last minute art gallery assistant. After an emotional prologue, the very beginning of the story is so great. It introduces you to Owen’s art straight away and the whole concept behind “Confess”. And it’s such a clever concept! I won’t say much more about it because it’s so great to read about but wow Colleen, 10/10!

Auburn has gone through a lot for her young age and although it is alluded to in the prologue the magnitude of her situation isn’t unveiled until much later in the story, by which time I was so swept up in the chemistry between Owen and Auburn I completely never seen it coming! If anything it makes you appreciate Auburn’s character even more and helps to understand her actions a bit more. The trouble isn’t over for her and the book is a whole rollercoaster of emotions and feelings of regret for the life she’s missing out on and self-sacrifice in order to please other people. It’s a tough read but I just couldn’t put it down.

Owen is quite a complicated character, particularly in Auburn’s eyes as the secrets just keep on coming. Fortunately the story is told in dual POV so you know a little bit more than Auburn and when everything is revealed you just fall in love with him a little bit more. Owen ties the whole story together more than you know throughout and I absolutely LOVED his tie to Auburn.

I really love the cover of this book and after reading it I have a whole new appreciation for it! There is always something more with Colleen’s books whether it’s poetry, music or in this case art. I love that it adds a whole new sensory level to the book and that really sets them apart from the crowd.


I have loved everything I’ve read by Colleen and I’ve even re-read a couple of her books more than once. Confess was such a compelling story that I am sure I will be re-reading it just to be back with Owen and Auburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...