Monday, 11 May 2015

Review of Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

The bit on the back…

I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michels offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.


I read this not long after I read Confess by Colleen Hoover. It was another recommendation from one of my twitter friends. Ruin is all about two main characters Wes and Kiersten.

The story started off well with the characters literally running into each other. There is an instant connection between them but Kiersten is really quite innocent (read sheltered) and Wes initially has completely wholesome intentions but the reasons behind his intentions to keep Kiersten at armslength aren’t revealed until much later in the story.

The first half of the story focuses on the relationship growing between the two characters. You’re let into some of the secrets behind Wes before Kiersten is and the way he lives his life appears to be quite admirable in the face of his reality, and I knew that there would inevitably be tears by the end of the book.

I wasn’t too fond of Kiersten to begin with and I finished the story about the same level of liking. She seemed much, much younger than Wes and although her small town background is touted quite frequently I feel like it was just verging on the YA side instead of the New Adult age of the characters. On that note the female supporting character Lisa acted even more immature than Kiersten.

The story is quite cheesy and begins to follow the formulaic plot that can be expected from any romance novel. The latter half of the book felt like it was rushed particularly towards the end of the book and Wes’s last football game. It didn’t see to carry as much weight as the rest of the book despite potentially being more significant.


I’ve never read anything by Rachel before, and I’m not sure if I would have enjoyed this more a few years ago. I don’t think I will be rushing to read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...