Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Review of Coming Up Roses by Rachael Lucas

The bit on the back…
Country air, cowslips and a charismatic rogue . . .
Would-be gardener Daisy can't believe her luck when her parents announce they're off on a midlife-crisis gap year, leaving her in charge of their gorgeous garden. After a turbulent few months, a spell of quiet in the countryside is just what she needs.
A shoulder to cry on wouldn't go amiss either - so when Daisy comes across Elaine and Jo, she breathes a sigh of relief. But her new friends are dealing with dramas of their own . . .
As Daisy wrestles the garden into something resembling order, her feelings for handsome Irishman George, begin to take root. But Daisy's heart's desire - her parent's garden - is under threat, and she is forced to confront nosey neighbours and fight greedy developers. Village life is turning out to be far from peaceful.

Firstly thank you to Pan for approving me for a review copy of this title on Netgalley. I was first introduced to Rachael when I took part in the blog tour for her first novel Sealed With A Kiss last year.
Coming Up Roses is all about main character and narrator Daisy who has moved back home to house sit for her parents. Daisy is starting over fresh in the village of Steeple St John just like the new spring blossom!
I was really looking forward to this. I love the cover and how the title ties in with the story. Rachael’s writing really captured my imagination in Sealed With A Kiss and I couldn’t wait to feel the same again. In both Sealed With A Kiss and Coming Up Roses there is a distinct “rural”-y feel too the setting which I love because it reminds me of the village we used to live in with the village fetes and everyone knowing everyone!
Daisy is easy to relate to both in her romantic and family life. At first Daisy is quite closed off and is trying her best to get lost in her gardening but the call of village life is stronger and manages to pull her away from planting and into the thick of village business. There are a lot of stereotypical village shenanigans to follow and a whole cast of characters who work their way into Daisy’s life – mostly for the better.
There is one character who I always felt a little on edge about and that was hunky George. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it throughout the story but I just knew there was something niggling in the back of my mind. I was rooting for Daisy the whole way so I was really annoyed on her behalf when the story took a turn later on in the book and it looked like Daisy was up for more upheaval yet again.

This book is so easy to get lost in because it is utter escapism into the countryside straight from your reading chair! Rachael really knew the ins and outs of the garden too with just the right amount of fact and fiction. I read this over a few sittings taking my time to enjoy a trip down memory lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...