Monday, 15 June 2015

Review of Sincerely Carter by Whitney G

The bit on the back…

Just friends.

We’re just friends.

No, really. She’s just my best friend...

Arizona Turner has been my best friend since fourth grade, even when we “hated” each other. We’ve been there for one another through first kisses, first “times,” and we’ve been each other’s constant when good relationships turned bad. (We even went to colleges that were minutes away from each other…)

Throughout the years, and despite what anyone says, we’ve never crossed the line.

Never thought about it.

Never wanted to.

Until one night changed everything.

At least, it should’ve ...

Just friends.

We’re just friends.

I’m only saying this until I figure out if she’s still “just” my best friend…


I bought this book shortly after reading, and not enjoying might I add, Blurred Lines by Lauren Layne. It has a very similar story line and is by an author who I have previously enjoyed so I thought I would be on to a winner. I love the whole friends to lovers story line which I’m sure I’ve harped on about enough by now so I was eager to start this one. The blurb pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Arizona and Carter’s story. It’s so cliché but I love when sometimes your story is going to be predictable and you can just shut off the outside world and get lost floating in someone else’s story.

The beginning is very much a setting of the scene for both characters – why Carter’s relationships never work out and how Arizona can’t help but subconsciously compare all of her boyfriends to Carter. The writing is relatively simple in the beginning but starts to pick up a bit the further you read.

The story is dual POV which I usually like in a book however this story line could have benefited, in the beginning anyway, from being a one-sided narrative as I think it helps to build up the necessary angst when you don’t know exactly how the other character is feeling. Unfortunately I felt a bit let down with the dual POV at the start here because it was kind of like “Oh I’m into my best friend” said female MC then two seconds later “Oh I’m into my best friend” said male MC. There wasn’t very much in the way of suspense in that sense.

Once the characters get over their revelations the story really begins. I liked the subtle resistance that existed between both of them to label their relationship as something other than “best friends” however in the end resistance was futile as they always ended up back together. There is a bit of a plot twist in the second half of the book that sees the characters being set far apart physically and emotionally and I think the dual narrative beings to serve its purpose in this section of the book. I really wanted to bash Carter and Arizona’s heads together here but however, I kept on reading. I got more frustrated with Arizona than I did with Carter particularly how keen she was to try and prove she had moved on.

One thing I loved with reading Whitney’s Reasonable Doubt series was the chapter headings which linked with the overall theme of the story. The chapter headings here are made out to be tracks from an album and while I got the reference in the song title I didn’t really get the reference to book after all as music wasn’t played up and neither Arizona nor Carter had a career in music.


I can recommend this book as an alternative to Blurred Lines but if you want to see how friends to lovers is really done then you should check out Samantha Young’s Before Jamaica Lane which is the third in the On Dublin Street series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...