Wednesday, 10 June 2015

Review of The Sun in Her Eyes by Paige Toon

The bit on the back…

Blinding sunshine… A bend in the road… What became of the little girl with the sun in her eyes?
Amber was three when a car crash stole her mother's life. She doesn't remember the accident, but a stranger at the scene has been unable to forget. Now, almost thirty years later, she's trying to track Amber down.

Amber, meanwhile, is married to Ned and living on the other side of the world in London. When her father has a stroke, she flies straight home to Australia to be with him. Away from her husband, Amber finds comfort in her oldest friends, but her feelings for Ethan, the gorgeous, green-eyed man she once fell for, have never been platonic.

As Ethan and Amber grow closer, married life in London feels far away. Then Amber receives a letter that changes everything. 'Before your mother died, she asked me to tell you something…'


First of all thank you to Dawn at Simon and Schuster for sending me a review copy of Paige’s latest book! I still find it hard to believe that one of the serious perks of being a book blogger is receiving book post from authors who you’ve loved for year and years. I’ve been a fan of Paige’s writing since I read and fell completely in love with Chasing Daisy. Since then I’ve read and re-read every book she’s written, for adults anyway! I’m still saving The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson for a time when I know I’ll be able to read it without pining for Johnny too much! Serious book boyfriend hangover right there!

The blurb sets you up for everything I’ve come to expect from one of Paige’s book. There’s a little bit of mystery, a trip back to Australia and of course some tensions is already sizzling away in the background around the character Ethan!

The story starts off with some bad news for Amber which sees her return to Australia. Immediately the emotions and stress are running high which helped me to bond with Amber because I can only imagine how difficult her situation could be. I always cry reading Paige’s writing and that was no different here.

Going home gives Amber a chance to reflect on her life and how it’s all panning out back home and she finds herself making some seemingly spur of the moment decisions. Not all of her choices are sound though and throughout I felt like I was standing back looking at her like what are you doing woman?! The chemistry between Ethan and Amber is off the charts in some places throughout the book and I actually found myself putting it down for a day or two because I was on such an angsty adrenaline rush I wasn’t reading for the inevitable crash! I think that says a lot about the story because I just cared about the characters too much to be able to read what I knew was bound to come next!

As well as the main love triangle storyline there is a sub plot involving someone who knew Amber in a previous life and this was another emotional trial for Amber to face. It’s almost as if Amber has been stuck in a bit of a time warp and has a lot of growing up to do when she’s back home.


I’ve never been to Australia and to be honest it’s never held much of an appeal for me but whenever I pick up one of Paige’s book where she takes us back to Oz I feel such a strong connection to it through the book. I love Paige’s description of the surroundings, the countryside, the night life, even the people! If you’ve enjoyed this and you’re looking for another of Paige’s books to read I would definitely suggest Lucy In The Sky and Chasing Daisy! The Longest Holiday is another of my favourites for its setting because it’s set in Key West, and I love Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...