Monday, 14 September 2015

Review of Surviving The Rachel by Aven Ellis

The bit on the back…

Bree Logan is ready to start her post-college life, but when she’s dumped by The One, unable to land a professional job, and has to move back in with her parents, she doesn’t think things can get worse until she ends up with her hair chopped into The Rachel, the infamous haircut made famous by the show Friends. Which is not good since it’s no longer 1994. But sometimes you have to go through challenges to get what you really need, and for Bree, could that include a different career and a romance with Jack Chelten, the boy-next-door?


Bree is the main character in Aven’s fourth novel. She’s just coming out of a break up and is putting her best foot (and dodgy hair cut) forward. I was reading this when I had my own dodgy hair cut so I could totally empathise with Bree. I think her “Rachel” hair cut made me think of a young Jennifer Aniston playing Bree in my mind.

Bree is very easy to like and I think part of this is her self-deprecating nature and her joy of pleasing others. She is a hard worker and the extent of it shows when she starts her new job. I liked being on the learning curve with Bree and always find it interesting to read about a character who has a job in a line of work that’s so different to my own. Aven’s writing is in depth in description and I felt like I could have been in the story alongside Bree.

Aven’s main characters all have one thing in common and that is their down to earth personalities. This love story focuses on the bond between the characters and their common interests and it’s about getting to know the other person and what makes them tick. With all of Aven’s couples I’ve enjoyed seeing them get to know one another and it was no different with Bree and Jack. I enjoyed the Friends quotes and also Jack’s love of all things Germany. I studied German at school so I liked reading the Friends episode titles in German and it added a little extra sparkle to the book for me.


This is a lovely, thoughtful story about learning to overcoming all the obstacles life throws your way. 

I love Aven’s writing and I loved seeing a little bit of her personality shining through in the character’s fashion style. I loved the catch up with Avery and Deke from Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista (my favourite of Aven’s books) and I’m very much looking forward to starting The Definition of Icing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...