Monday, 28 September 2015

Review of Throb by Vi Keeland

The bit on the back…

The rules:

No dating.

No sex outside of the game.

No disclosing the terms of the contract.

Rules were made to be broken, right?

Eight weeks ago I signed a contract. One that seemed like a good idea at the time. A handsome bachelor, luxury accommodations, and a chance to win a prize my family desperately needed. There were some rules though. Lots of them actually. Follow the script, no dating, sex, or disclosing the terms of the deal. After my self-imposed moratorium on men the last year, it wouldn’t be hard to live up to my end of the bargain…so I thought. Until I realized the deal I’d made was with the devil…and I was in love with his dirty-talking brother.


This is the second book by Vi Keeland that I’ve read. I downloaded and read Beat – the sequel to Throb – first before realising that it comes after Throb. You don’t need to read them in order although I would say I did enjoy Beat more than this so if at the end of the book you don’t find yourself completely captured by Vi’s writing read Beat because it’s just up there at that next level.

The story is all about Cooper and Kate. I was watching Love Island on ITV2 at the time I read Throb so it was pretty coincidental that this story has the same sort of thing going on. Kate’s signed up to a reality TV show with the hope of winning the prize fund. It’s straightforward – she just has to be the girl that the bachelor chooses but then Kate meets Cooper and he is a direct contravention to all of the rules she has to live with for the next 8 weeks.

When Cooper and Kate first meet there is an instant spark between them. Kate’s resistance to Cooper makes him even more hung up on her. When they meet again their fate is sealed and the chase is on for Cooper. To be honest I didn’t feel any attraction, from Kate anyway, between her and the bachelor Flynn. I understood her reasons to continue trying to win the show but at the same time I found it hard to relate that to the depth of her feelings for Cooper.

The title suggests a sexy story and while Cooper did heat things up it wasn’t quite how I thought it would be. I get that the TV show element mixed up the standard love triangle plot a little but Flynn’s feelings definitely didn’t feel reciprocated.


If I had to choose between reading this or Beat again I would definitely choose Beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...