Thursday, 1 October 2015

Review of Beat by Vi Keeland

The bit on the back…

Dimpled smile of a boy

Hard body of a man

Sings like an angel

Fucks like the devil

I was stuck between a rock(star) and a hard place.

At fifteen, his poster hung on my bedroom wall. At twenty-five his body hovered over mine. Every girl's fantasy became my reality. I was dating a rockstar. Yet I was slowly falling for another man. The problem was--the two men--they shared a tour bus.

Flynn Beckham was the opening act.

Dylan Ryder was the headliner.

What happens when the opening act begins to shine so bright, it seems to dim everything else in its wake?

I'll tell you what happens. Things get ugly.


This was the first book I read by Vi Keeland and I actually loved it. I loved Flynn. This is a standalone however Flynn is introduced in an earlier novel called Throb. I read Throb after finishing Beat however Beat remains my favourite of the two.

Flynn and Lucky are the main characters in this fast paced, angst filled story. What is it with musician’s and their angsty-ness?! Flynn seems like a totally different character in this book compared to how you see him in Throb. It could be that he has toughened up a little since then but I swear to you it could actually be a different man. And god damn that man is hot! The cover, I will admit, drew me to clicking on this book in the first place.

Lucky and Flynn hit it off right away. I was drawn to Flynn’s flirty, cocky banter and I would be more than happy to have swapped places with Lucky on the night they first met. The only problem is Lucky’s boyfriend and what at first starts out as harmless flirtation turns to something more dangerous and exciting. Here comes the angst.

The pair become closer as they are forced together by Lucky’s unwitting boyfriend Dylan. I was not keen on Dylan at all. I felt like he was just messing around with Lucky and got the feeling he didn’t treat her that well. I couldn’t help but root for Flynn and Lucky. They seemed to be a much better match and their relationship was more natural.

The love triangle that Lucky found herself a part of was tricky to navigate especially as the three of them ended up on the road together on the same tour. The plot naturally allows for angst and drama but the proximity of Lucky and Flynn’s working relationship multiplied it.

Although the relationships between the characters dominate this story Lucky has something else going on with her past and I loved how Flynn could get through to her on that level too.

I would definitely reread this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...