Monday, 26 October 2015

Review of The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The bit on the back…

'You're not Mia Thermopolis any more, honey,' Dad said. 'You're Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo. Princess of Genovia.'

A PRINCESS?? ME??? Yeah. Right.

One minute Mia's a totally normal Manhattan fourteen-year-old. Next minute she's heir to the throne of Genovia, being trailed by a bodyguard, taking princess lessons with her uncontrollable old grandmere, and having a makeover with someone called Paolo. Well, her dad can lecture her till he's royal blue in the face, but no way is Mia going to turn herself into a style-queen. And they think she's moving to Genovia? Er, hello?


I don’t think anyone needs me to say what this book is about, right? I read this years ago when I was in high school and all the books after it in the series – I think there was 10 in total. And of course I’ve watched the film several times. I couldn’t wait to finish re-reading the book to re-watch the movie!

Firstly a big thank you to Pan Mac for approving me for this book on Netgalley. I requested it just about the time that I requested Meg’s latest book Royal Wedding (Princess Diaries for older readers) and it was a complete trip down memory lane reading it again.

There are so many things I love about this book. First of all Mia is just a normal girl. She has normal teenage worries about her looks, friends, homework, boys and fitting in in general. Although the book was first published in 2000, Mia had the same worries that a fourteen year old would have today although, admittedly, Mia didn’t need to worry about looking on point in her newest Instagram selfie.

I love the diary format of this book and think it especially works for younger reads. I tried to keep my own diary for little while when I was younger so I am sure lots of girls can relate to her. Mia has a sharp wit and is completely sarcastic. It’s easy to imagine yourself in her shoes through Meg’s writing.


I am so looking forward to Royal Wedding as a fan of the Princess Diaries series and also as a fan of Meg’s books for older readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...