Monday, 2 November 2015

Review of Accidental Cowgirl by Maggie McGinnis

The bit on the back…

After being betrayed by her con man ex-fiancé, Kyla Bennett nurses a broken heart. But Kyla’s friends have other ideas and when they whisk her off to Whisper Creek, a dude ranch staffed by cowboys so hot they dim the Montana sunset, all Kyla wants to do is hide under a quilt. Then in rides Decker Driscoll. He’s hauling about as much emotional baggage as Kyla, but when he stands close by, both of them want to stay close—and begin to succumb to an undeniable attraction.

After experiencing personal tragedy, Decker never thought he’d see Big Sky country again. But now that his family’s Whisper Creek property is in deep with a Vegas gambler, Decker’s back for the summer—and spending all his time running from “cowgirls” who come to the dude ranch to score some dudes. Then he meets Kyla, a kindred spirit who brings on a stampede of protective feelings ... and a powerful hankering to sear her with a new brand of love.


Firstly thank you to Loveswept for approving me for this title via NetGalley. I have had this book for a (shamefully) long time but have finally managed to get round to it and it was worth the wait! I have read a few Loveswept titles since I started blogging and I’ve found almost every one to be a page turner – this was no different.

Kyla, city girl by nature, is joining her friends on an adventurous week away at a dude ranch (I had to google that - it means guest ranch) where they get to experience the great outdoors and life living on a ranch instead of living it up at a spa – something that Kyla casts up to her friends throughout the story!

Kyla is one of the two main characters and narrators in the story and Maggie introduces us to her just as she’s got herself into a little car trouble. I think this one little mishap sets the tone for the girl’s holiday as it isn’t the only thing they manage to get up to. Kyla is very likeable and I felt like I just wanted to sit her down and tell her to chill out for ten minutes. She’s recovering from the betrayal of her fiancé which has completely thrown her confidence in people and her instincts so when we meet her she’s a broken version of the girl she was but you can see her old personality trying to get through.

From the start Decker seems like a decent, honest guy. I liked his loyalty to his family and his affection for Kyla. He’s caring and kind to everyone but develops a bit of a protective side for Kyla right away. There is no doubt in my mind that Decker was every inch the sexy cowboy Kyla saw him as and I enjoyed reading the story from his point of view as his history and baggage is quite different to what Kyla is trying to shrug off. He also has a hot brother so I’m looking forward to getting to know him in Once Upon a Cowboy.

It’s very easy to get swept up in the story of being on the ranch, helping out with chores and going out on the trail. I went to visit a horse sanctuary in Florida last year so I was channelling my memories into imagining this story. The focus of the story is on Kyla and Decker and seeing them overcome their respective baggage for their own good to allow them to move on with their life. There is a sparkling chemistry between the characters from the beginning but it’s not all plain sailing and I was rooting for them from the start.


If you have enjoyed books by Jaci Burton, Tess Oliver or Mandy Baggot I would recommend this cowboy romance story for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...