Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Review of Friction by Sawyer Bennett

The bit on the back…

At the powerhouse law firm of Knight & Payne, winning comes first and ethics a distant second. Leary Michaels uses her female charms to daze opponents, and it’s always worked well—until now. On her most personal case yet, she finds herself going up against a defence attorney just as skilled, shameless, and seductive as she is.

Reeve Holloway has never met a woman as sure of her own sexuality, or as ruthless in wielding it, as Leary is. But he won’t be toyed with. What Leary starts, he’ll finish—in the courtroom, the bedroom, or any-damn-place he wants. The sex is uninhibited, electrifying, and absolutely against the rules. Reeve’s job is to ruin Leary’s case…even if it destroys her in the process and costs him the woman he’s come to love.


Firstly thank you to Sawyer Bennett for inviting me to view this title via Netgalley. I had just read Sustained by Emma Chase so this sparked my interest after reading the blurb.

The story is about two lawyers, Leary and Reeve. The pair are rivals in their current case and as they go up against each other there is more than the Law going on in the courtroom.

Leary is young, great at her job and has climbed the career ladder fast. She’s all for justice and righting wrongs which I respected about her. To be honest my respect for her kind of ran out there. The boss she respects so much basically promotes sexism and tells Leary to use her feminine charm to her advantage which seemed a little at odds with her personality to be honest. I didn’t like that aspect of her character, or the story. Leary could have attracted Reeve without the sexism angle being played up.

The relationship between Reeve and Leary is as the blurb suggests. I think the fact that they are opposing counsel in their latest case helps is a catalyst for chemistry between them. Reeve seems like a decent guy and I liked his character in the book. At the start of the story Leary is seeing another lawyer at her firm and their relationship is played up as very much friends with benefits. I get that this relationship status transferred onto Reeve but I don’t really get why it was in the book in the first place because it didn’t add anything to Leary’s story other than a suggestion that Ford might at some point appear in another book.

I practically skim read the last 1/3 of the book. I felt like I was being schooled for a degree in Law by the end of it. Quite a few points were explained quite fully even down to who was present during meetings and so on. I feel like an element of this could have been removed to keep the story from feeling quite so educational.


Maybe if I hadn’t just finished a similar book which I enjoyed more, I would have liked it better. However, as it stands this was just an ok read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...