Monday, 14 December 2015

Review of A Girl's Best Friend by Lindsey Kelk

The bit on the back…

After the crazy six months she’s had, if there was a ‘clear history’ button for your life, Tess Brookes would be the first in line to press it.

When the opportunity arises to join her best friend, Amy, in New York for Christmas, Tess jumps at the chance. The only slight hitch is that Nick, the man who broke her heart, lives there. And Charlie, the man she turned down, has just started talking to her again. And she has just four days to take a photo for a competition that could save her career.

But aside from that, everything is going to be great: it’ll be the best Christmas ever. Won’t it?


I, like all of Lindsey’s other fans, was looking forward to this book immensely. I couldn’t wait to get back into Tess’s crazy life and finish the whole Team Nick/Team Charlie debate – although Nick will always be my guy – makes love-heart-in-eyes face.

The prologue threw me for a loop. At first I was like wait, wait just one minute what’s going on here?! But then it all became clear! After those first few pages I was effortlessly engrossed in Lindsey’s writing once again. Every other page had me laughing and at times I was on the verge of tears. Tess’s life has one big chaotic whirlwind from assuming her flatmate’s identity and job to making a name, her own name, for herself and completing her adopted family circle. One thing missing was her man – but which man was the question.

Tess finds a way to make Christmas in New York happen. I’m so glad that this story was set in New York primarily because Lindsey and writing about New York go so well together. Lindsey’s I Heart series begins in New York and I loved going back there with her. I also loved the fact that we got to catch up with I Heart series main characters Angela Clarke and Jenny Lopez. If ever there were three characters who were destined to be besties it’s these three.

As usual chaos reigns where Tess is involved but she just about manages to turn things round for herself. The ending to this book is probably one of my favourite endings of all times. It just seemed absolutely perfect although I don’t want to ruin it by revealing anything more about it.


There are a few things that keep me coming back to Lindsey’s writing over and over again. Firstly the fact that every single time I read a new book of hers I am completely transported to wherever the location is. I never feel like I’m just reading about a place, I can visualise it and I feel like I’m experiencing it first-hand. Secondly is Lindsey’s sense of humour and sharp wit. It feels so aligned with my own and my sister’s that it makes me want to be BFFs with her main characters. I would love to meet Tess in real life, Angela and Jenny too. I can’t wait for whatever’s next from Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...