Thursday, 17 December 2015

Review of Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

The bit on the back…

Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood …

Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country.

But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades.

As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it’s too late?


This is Angela’s first novel and it’s also the first crime thriller I’ve read in about 10 years. To say this is not my typical genre is a gross understatement. It seemed like every other review being tweeted was a raving review of one of Angela’s D.I. Kim Stone novels. So like the book crowd follower I am I took myself straight to Amazon and downloaded Silent Scream.

This book is set in the Black Country and focuses on kick ass detective Kim Stone and her pursuit for justice.

One of the things that drew me to this series, along with the great reviews I’d read, was the female lead. As I’m new to this genre I thought I would more easily identify with a female main character than a male. Kim Stone is a strong and seemingly fearless woman. She’s headstrong, stubborn and damn good at her job. Although her stubbornness sometimes lands her in hot water with her boss her instincts and the way she worked through the crimes in her head completely drew me to her.

I had immense respect for Kim by the end of the novel. Alongside the main storyline we get a glimpse of Kim’s past coming through in her moments of reflection, brought on by the closeness of the case to her own history.

As the story unfolds and as the body count goes up the story of the past and present is interwoven. At some points I thought I had the murderer pegged but it turned out I was completely wrong. For the most part Kim tells the story however there are scenes from the murderer’s POV too which were unnerving but had the effect of keeping me turning the pages. Just when I thought I was starting to work things out, learn what to expect, Angela through a complete spanner into the works in what has to be one of the best character twists I’ve read ever.


There were so many twists in this novel that my head was spinning by the end. I was a little bit apprehensive about finishing this when I was in the house myself… and when it was night time! It’s cleverly written, completely unpredictable and gripping to the very end. Reading this has definitely ensured that I want to read more not only from this author but in this genre – starting with 24 Hours written by one of Angela’s fellow Bookouture authors Claire Seeber.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Erin. So pleased you enjoyed it and really appreciate you giving my books a chance. XX

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...