Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Review of the Calling Me series by Louise Bay

The bit on the back…

Is it possible for a guy to turn on a switch and realize he’s been in love with a girl that’s been under his nose for over a decade? Ashleigh Franklin can’t decide. Ashleigh wants the fairy tale. Ever since she was a kid, her best friend’s brother, Luke, has been her fantasy Prince Charming. Now he’s trying to convince her that she’s the one he’s wanted all these years. There’s no way it’s that easy to escape the friend zone.

Single after years living with a girlfriend, Luke has finally woken up. What he’s been waiting for has been right under his nose for almost his entire life. Can he persuade her that he’s serious and won’t break her heart?


Firstly, thank you to Louise Bay for providing me with a review copy of this title. I was initially drawn in by the cover and then the blurb because it sounded right up my street. I love the whole friends to lovers storyline because everything between the characters is so familiar but completely new at the same time.

This series is made up of 3 novellas – Calling Me Back, Calling Me Away and Calling Me Home - each one taking off where the previous left off. The series is all about Ashleigh and her best friend’s brother Luke.

The first part of the story, through the initial stages of the changes in their relationship, was my favourite. I enjoyed the build up of the sort of angsty/chemistry filled suspense. It’s like watching something inevitable happen in slow motion. Familiarity crosses the line into new territory where the characters feel and see new things about each other and the hints to the change in their relationship plant seeds and take form.

The more I read, I began to lose some of my initial interest. I felt like Ashley was playing a game with Luke and kept putting obstacles in the way of their relationship. It almost felt like she regreted how their relationship progressed in some parts – kind of like what they say about how you should never meet your heroes.

The story seems to happen fast but at times the narrative is fast forwarded by a number of weeks so it feels like you miss out on some of the important stuff. I enjoyed the writing and the dual POV even though I had my hang ups about the characters.

I would definitely read more from Louise based on this book and if you are a fan of Christina Lauren or Samantha Young you are likely to enjoy this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...