Monday, 22 February 2016

Review of Built by Jay Crownover

The bit on the back…

Sometimes you have to tear everything down to build something new…

Sayer Cole is frozen inside. At least, that’s what it’s felt like for as long as she can remember. She’s yet to let anyone past her icy exterior – and the one guy she thinks might melt her heart couldn’t possibly be interested in someone so uptight.

Rough, hard and hot-as-hell, Zeb Fuller has rebuilt his life and his construction business since protecting his family sent him to jail all those years ago. His elegant client, Sayer, makes him feel like a Neanderthal in denim, but despite the many hints that he’s been dropping to get to know her better, she seems oblivious to his charms.

Just as things finally start to heat up, Zeb’s past comes back to haunt him and he needs Sayer’s professional help to right a wrong and to save more than himself. As these opposites dig in for the fight of their lives, fire and ice collide in an unstoppable explosion of steam…


This is the much anticipated first novel in Jay Crownover’s new Saints of Denver series. It follows on from the sensational Marked Men series and features two secondary characters from that series – Zeb Fuller, friend of Rowdy and Sayer Cole who is Rowdy’s sister.

I have been looking forward to reading this for a while. It is full of all of the things I like about Jay’s style and have come to expect when reading one of her novels. I remember the first time I read Rule, book 1 in the Marked Men series, and I remember not wanting it to end, looking at how far I had read and trying to slow myself down. The same happened with this. I devoured it in two sittings.

I really loved Zeb. Throughout the story he faces some major changes in his life, which Sayer helps him through in her lawyer capacity. He is strong and independent but is focused on doing the right thing by everyone, including himself and Sayer. I loved that he puts others before himself and that is evident throughout the whole story. I felt sorry for him in parts of the book because it felt like Sayer mucked him around, cutting her nose off to spite her face.

Sayer is her own worst enemy. Even now, when she is part of Rowdy’s family and the wider “Marked Men” family, she is still affected by her past and is afraid to let go and be consumed by her relationship with Zeb. It makes her out to be selfish as if she is stringing him along to ultimately turn him down.

The story is sexy, intense, charged, emotional and fast paced. I found it to be a page turner as I really wanted to find out what was going to happen to Zeb next and how he was going to handle it. It’s predictable in that you know how it’s going to end eventually but the sub plot with Zeb and his “situation” rounds the story out.


I can’t wait to see what’s next from Jay, as always this is one I will definitely be re-reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...