Monday, 29 February 2016

Review of F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher

The bit on the back…

Helena Conway has fallen in love.

Unwillingly. Unwittingly.

But not unprovoked.

Kit Isley is everything she’s not—unstructured, untethered,
and not even a little bit careful.

It could all be so beautiful … if he wasn’t dating her best friend.

Helena must defy her heart, do the right thing, and think of others.
Until she doesn’t.


I don’t even know where to start with this, I enjoyed it so much. I’ve never read any of Tarryn’s books before although I do have The Opportunist on my kindle. This was recommended to me by a trusted friend so I started pretty much straight away after she had raved about it. The book, told from Helena’s POV, hooked me from the very start and kept me interested right until the very end. The first chapter is an absolute corker, probably one of the best first chapters I’ve ever read. I couldn’t quite get a grip of what was going on, I read it twice over and then when I moved to chapter two I looked back at chapter one thinking what the actual hell??

Helena has fallen in love with Kit. Kit is the boyfriend of Helena’s best friend Della – drama, drama, drama. This is one of those reads where there was always something in the back of my head that made me think “maaaaaaan… you should not be doing that” about the characters. I think from the beginning it’s obvious that the better fit would be for Helena and Kit to be together rather than Kit and Della. I couldn’t take to Della at all; she’s vain and has to be the centre of everyone’s universe. I felt like she kind of used Helena to make her feel better about herelf. She’s insecure and it got really grating throughout the book – although there was that one part of me that felt a smidgen of sorry for her.

The emotions are REAL in this book. I was up and down all over the place. Reading from Helena’s POV had the effect of feeling the story from her point of view, falling for Kit more and more until you’re left feeling the same way about him as Helena does. I really loved Kit. He’s imperfect and aware of it; he’s made mistakes but tries to learn from them and is a genuinely good guy at heart.


The first chapter played on my mind the whole way through the story as I kept wondering what was going to happen next for the characters. I had a bit of a book hangover with this one, I still think about it now and then but it’s the relationship between Kit and Helena, the depth of feelings and the chemistry that they had that keeps taking me back to it. I can’t wait to read more from Tarryn now after this, starting with The Opportunist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...