Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Review of Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid

The bit on the back…

There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse.


I was honestly looking forward to reading this book after discovering Penny Reid through a recommendation and reading her Elements of Chemistry series. I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed by it though and reckon that if I had read it before I’d read Elements of Chemistry I would feel differently.

The story is all about main character Janie Morris. At first Janie looks to be a pretty unique character to say the least. Janie is very, very clever but lacks all sort of social skills and is completely oblivious to all normal social indicators. It would appear she could have Asperger’s Syndrome although it’s never stated in the book. Janie has some pretty random ways of doing things and spouts random mathematical facts throughout the book, over analysing simple situations to the nth degree. This is one of the many things that annoyed me about the book. Janie is achingly similar to Kaitlyn from Elements of Chemistry although it’s scientific facts that Kaitlyn spouts. I felt a bit let down that they were the same in so many ways but like I said if I had read this first it would have been the other way round in my review of Elements of Chemistry.

Janie meets Quinn and soon starts to spend more time with him. Although she’s oblivious to what is glaringly obvious Quinn continually lets it slide never fully telling Janie the truth – I don’t know if he’s supposed to be protecting her here but he knows she’s oblivious, he tells her often enough, so it seemed a bit creepy that he was omitting the truth about his position in the company and knowledge of circumstances that are revealed later in the story.


Things start to escalate quickly in the latter half of the story and it all seems to get a bit hairy out of nowhere. I’m sad to say that I won’t be reading the rest of the Knitting in the City series which is unfortunate because I have previously enjoyed Penny’s writing. This was just to samey samey for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...