Thursday, 31 March 2016

Review of The Deal by Elle Kennedy

The bit on the back…

She’s about to make a deal with the college bad boy…

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice…even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

…and it’s going to be oh so good

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he’s worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he’s all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn’t take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn’t going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.


I actually came by this book when I was looking for a new audiobook to download. I read it in two sittings as it’s fairly easy to get through with not a lot of thinking required.

The story is all about main characters Hannah and Garrett. On paper they couldn’t be more different but in reality they are more similar than they know.

The blurb sounded like something I would generally go for in a book so I started it pretty much straight after downloading it. After finishing it I feel like I’m still in two minds about how I feel about it overall.

Both characters have some depth and background to them. Hannah’s a survivor not a victim and very much plays that part in the book. Her past makes her a strong character at times but at points I really just wanted her to stand up for herself more in other aspects of her life. Garrett too has a past that keeps butting heads with him although this is one thing that’s not well known about the gorgeous player of a jock.

The friends to lovers storyline is one of my favourites but at first there doesn’t seem to be much chemistry between the characters that could lead to something more. Instead the turning point is focused on one kiss that changes everything. I would have at least liked to have some lingering, angsty build up because in the beginning they are very convincing friends as the geek and the jock.

At some points I cringed with the childish, immature ramblings from Hannah and the way she referred to Garrett’s “man-monster” was particularly cringeworthy. For a book that is aimed at college age readers I honestly would have expected a bit more maturity. The relationship between the characters showcased Garrett’s maturity, strength and respect for Hannah. He shone as the main character for me although I felt like it should have been Hannah that did that as she had the bigger story, more to overcome and so on.


I would read more from this author based on the first installment of this Off-Campus sports romance series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...