Monday, 25 April 2016

Review of Big Rock by Lauren Blakely

The bit on the back…

It's not just the motion of the ocean, ladies. It's definitely the SIZE of the boat too.

And I've got both firing on all cylinders. In fact, I have ALL the right assets. Looks, brains, my own money, and a big c&$k.

You might think I'm an as%*$le. I sound like one, don’t I? I'm hot as sin, rich as heaven, smart as hell and hung like a horse.

Guess what? You haven't heard my story before. Sure, I might be a playboy, like the NY gossip rags call me. But I’m the playboy who’s actually a great guy. Which makes me one of a kind.

The only trouble is, my dad needs me to cool it for a bit. With conservative investors in town wanting to buy his flagship Fifth Avenue jewelry store, he needs me not only to zip it up, but to look the part of the committed guy. Fine. I can do this for Dad. After all, I’ve got him to thank for the family jewels. So I ask my best friend and business partner to be my fiancée for the next week. Charlotte’s up for it. She has her own reasons for saying yes to wearing this big rock.

And pretty soon all this playing pretend in public leads to no pretending whatsoever in the bedroom, because she just can’t fake the kind of toe-curling, window-shattering orgasmic cries she makes as I take her to new heights between the sheets.

But I can’t seem to fake that I might be feeling something real for her.

What the hell have I gotten myself into with this…big rock?


The sole reason I downloaded this book is because I have taken a liking to the narrator on the audiobook version and I’m stuck in this stage where I like to read the book before I listen to it on Audible so I downloaded it and got started straight away. In all honestly the blurb of this book is a bit off putting and again to be honest Spencer is one of the most arrogant, cocky and obnoxiously in love with himself male characters I’ve ever met. Don’t let the blurb put you off though because underneath all of that the story is actually quite good, it’s well written and it’s one of my favourite storylines.

The whole story is told from Spencer’s POV. There may be some stereotyping going on but it’s pretty believable. Spencer winds up getting himself into a bit of a predicament which leads him to roping his best friend into their longstanding pretend fiancé game for a bit more of a fixed term than their usual one night.

The story is predictable. Right from the start it’s obvious what’s going to happen in the end of the book. It’s not an original storyline by any means but it is probably quite a unique take on it. Although Spencer is arrogance personified he does actually seem to be a genuinely good guy. Despite having a revolving bedroom door he treats women with respect, especially his best friend and business partner Charlotte. Charlotte is a lovely character, which might seem bland in description but that’s my honest opinion. She’s the light to Spencer’s dark, the reserved to his in your face persona. They played so well against each other that regardless of the short time frame that the story covers you can actually see the characters together for the long term.


This is a nice, easy read which requires very little thinking. It’s the perfect escape for an afternoon of funny, sexy reading. I’d recommend this for fans of Christina Lauren and I’ll definitely be reading more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...