Friday, 29 April 2016

Review of The Hurricane by R J Prescott

The bit on the back…

A love that's worth keeping is worth fighting for . . .

Emily McCarthy is living in fear of a dark and dangerous past. A gifted mathematician, she is little more than a hollow, broken shell, trying desperately to make ends meet long enough to finish her degree.

Through an unlikely friendship with the aging, cantankerous owner of an old boxing gym, Em is thrown into the path of the most dangerous man that she has ever met.

Cormac "the Hurricane" O'Connell is cut, tattooed and dangerous. He is a lethal weapon with no safety and everyone is waiting for the mis-fire. He's never been knocked out before, but when he meet Em he falls, HARD. Unlike any other girl he's ever met, she doesn't want anything from him. Just being around her makes him want to be a better person.

They are polar opposites who were never meant to find each other, but some things are just worth the fight.


I bought this book because I’m going to RARE16 this year and this is an author, who will be at the event, that I’ve never read before. I loved the sound of the book, it put me in mind of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, but ugh, I can’t help but feel disappointed with it.

The story is about Emily McCarthy and Cormac O’Connell. Two people who wouldn’t ordinarily mix in the same social circles but who grow closer through their mutual friend. Emily is closed off and reserved and making friends is difficult for her due to her fear of the past. Cormac is the obvious antidote to that fear due to his mere presence but Emily worries that won’t be enough when her past comes knocking.

I really liked the sound of this, especially Cormac. I thought he sounded great – “cut, tattooed and dangerous” – everyone loves a bad boy and Cormac seems to be the epitome of it. At first his quiet, watchful persona intrigued me and I quickly wanted Emily to give into his friendship. Throughout the book my affinity for him lessened as he became a bit too in touch with his emotions for me. The character I wanted him to portray was more of a bad boy and I just didn’t get enough of that from him. The way he treated Emily was nice but sometimes sickly sweet and didn’t marry up with his “lethal weapon” persona.

Throughout Emily had trust issues getting close to O’Connell but seemed to let Nikki in easily. I struggled a bit with the leaps Emily made from struggling to serve Danny in the café to working in his gym surrounded by imposing men, who all wanted to flirt with her. Really?


I didn’t enjoy reading the latter half of the book. The story moves quickly in the beginning but went from believable to rushed and a bit dubious toward the end. The progression of the story seemed too quick considering the lack of depth in the connection between any of the characters and because I had started to go off Cormac I wasn’t really invested in his and Emily’s story leading me to lose interest and skim over the last few chapters. I probably won’t be reading the next book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...