Monday, 18 April 2016

Review of Release Me by J Kenner

The bit on the back…

He was the one man I couldn't avoid. And the one man I couldn't resist.

Damien Stark could have his way with any woman. He was sexy, confident, and commanding: anything he wanted, he got. And what he wanted was me.

Our attraction was unmistakable, almost beyond control, but as much as I ached to be his, I feared the pressures of his demands. Submitting to Damien meant I had to bare the darkest truth about my past - and risk breaking us apart.

But Damien was haunted, too. And as our passion came to obsess us both, his secrets threatened to destroy him - and us - for ever.


I downloaded this one Saturday after looking for a good read to get into over the weekend. It turned out that I read it in one sitting so it only lasted 3-4 hours but it did the trick. I’ve read one of the spin off Stark novels before but never any from the trilogy. This is the first book in the Start series and is all about Damien and narrator Nikki.

The story focuses on the meeting and resulting relationship between Damien and Nikki. At firs Nikki tries to resist Damien but his lure is all too great.

The plot and characters are very reminiscent of Fifty Shades. Having said that though the writing is much better and Nikki has much more to her than Anastasia Steele ever had. I enjoyed Fifty Shades but those facts are undeniable. Nikki is independent and strong willed. She is dead set on forging her own path and Damien’s very presence interferes with that. He’s domineering and sticks his nose in where Nikki doesn’t want it, which is just one of the similarities between him and Christian Grey. A penchant for spending money like it doesn’t mean anything is another.

The plot moves along quickly but doesn’t cover that much in the way of a period of time; I had to keep reminding myself of how little time had actually passed in relation to the feelings developing between the characters.  Although the main story is the progression of the relationship between Damien and Nikki there is an added element involving one of the other characters which adds some suspense to the whole story. I was absorbed by the story and kept turning and turning those pages.


I downloaded Claim Me, the second book in the series, straight after reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...