Monday, 4 April 2016

Review of Rough by Skye Warren

The bit on the back…

I’m a cautionary tale. A statistic. A victim. A single teenage mother from the poor part of town. Most of the time I’m too busy working and struggling to care what people think. Survival doesn’t come easy.

I have a dark secret, a pressure valve, a rare moment just for myself. On these nights I visit a club. There I find men who give me what I need. Men who aren’t afraid to take what they want.
Men like Colin.

But he takes more than a few stolen hours. He demands more than my body. He wants my heart and soul—my happily ever after. I never thought I’d be Cinderella. I never thought a man that rough could be my prince.


This is one of those books that pop up on those annoying “spend money, spend money” sponsored facebook posts. The first book was free at the time of purchase so I relented and downloaded it.
The story is all about main character Allie who’s a single mother to the daughter she had as a result of sexual assault. Allie is damaged, that much is made very clear in her strange and dangerous views on the opposite sex and sexual encounters.

It’s implied that she strives to do what’s right for her daughter and the author makes a point of pointing this out on more than one occasion yet she puts herself in situations that could ultimately lead to her leaving her daughter motherless. Something didn’t add up there for me. I know she’s “broken” and needs this outlet but surely she must have known she was jeopardising her daughter’s future going against everything else she does for her.

Colin is introduced one such potential dangerous situation. As it turns out Colin doesn’t pander to Allie’s needs and instead there is a supposed connection between the characters. To be honest I wasn’t convinced. I wasn’t particularly convinced that there was enough chemistry between the characters to warrant a connection. Colin plays the role of knight in shining armour but this is another display of Allie making potentially dangerous decisions. How much does she actually know about this man?


To say I was unsatisfied with the characters and story progression would hit the nail on the head. I don’t think I will be reading the rest of the series based on this first book. It was only 162 pages long and the other two are of similar length. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...