Monday, 2 May 2016

Review of Fly by Molly McLain

The bit on the back…

Meet Colton Wade, FMX rider...

I’m just a small town guy who caught a lucky break. Now I’m living the dream, on the brink of high-flying super-stardom. But something’s missing.

That something is Taylor.

She’s my best friend. The one who makes me want to push harder and higher. The one I fall back on when shit gets tough. The one I’d give it all up for.

I’d do anything to protect her. To make her dreams come true too.

But a single night changes everything.

And now the one she needs protection from...is me.


Firstly thank you to the author for a review copy via NetGalley. I was originally attracted to the stylish cover and then to the blurb. The friends to lovers storyline is one of my favourites, I love all the angsty emotions and feels packed scenes so I was looking forward to reading this.

This is the first book in Molly’s new Velocity series and is all about Colton and his childhood friend Taylor.

Colton is made to look like a player from the beginning with FMX groupies falling over themselves for him; one in particular keeps making a reappearance much to his supposed chagrin. He’s basically got himself into the corner and is less than delicate about getting himself back out of it. I didn’t like that side of him. There is not much included in the narrative about his profession and the story is more focussed on the PR and advertising side of his fame and how this interferes with his personal life.

The story basically jumps right in to the two characters having a secret love for each other. There isn’t much in the way of background to show how the pair grew so close and how their relationship progressed over the time that they have known each other. It seemed to just be a sudden realisation of love for each other on both sides, almost as if there should have been a prequel novella that was a flash back to all those times when feelings have been more than friendly.

Colton sort of plays with Taylor, stringing her along, before making it obvious that he has feelings for her. It seemed like he might have unintentionally taken advantage of Taylor’s good nature and his relationship with her.

From their first kiss the story seems to rush towards the end, finishing in a predictable plot line which felt like a bit of a cop out. I will probably read the next book in the series but I won’t be making it a priority which is a shame because the story had a lot of potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...