Sunday, 17 July 2016

Blog Tour Learning to Speak American by Colette Dartford

Today I'm on the blog tour for Colette Dartford's debut novel and she has joined me today to share some of the things she learned living in America. I love this post! Florida is my favourite place to be and I'll be visiting California, where Colette's novel is set, later this year! Over to you Colette...




Things I Learned Living In America

Americans adore British accents, even if they don’t quite understand their rich regional variety. But think about it. Dick Van Dyke’s faux cockney accent in Mary Poppins was copied by Ross in an episode of Friends and Dan Cheadle in Ocean’s Eleven. Many Americans I met were surprised I was British because I didn’t sound like that. I took it as a compliment.

And it’s certainly true that Brits and Americans speak the same language differently. I learned the hard way that vocabulary doesn’t always travel well. Whatever you do, don’t make the same mistake I did and go into a hardware store to buy something to carve a joint on. 

I lived in California and despite its 800 miles of dramatic coastline, glorious sandy beaches and vibrant surfing culture, the Pacific Ocean is so cold you need a wet suit to enjoy it. I learned that the hard way too.

Driving in America is a joy. Most of the roads are long and straight and drivers are generally polite. But as a Brit abroad, there were a few surprises. You can turn right at a red traffic light and instead of roundabouts, American roads have a ‘four-way stop.’ Priority goes to the vehicle stopping first but when two vehicles stop at the same time, you’re supposed to give way to the vehicle on the right. When you approach at the same time as a car coming from the opposite direction, the vehicle that’s turning gives way to the one going straight on. Let’s just say it took me a while to get the hang of that!


And finally, I didn’t realise America still had hundreds of counties where alcohol is prohibited. Luckily for me, Napa Valley isn’t one of them.

Thanks Colette, for sharing this great post! Check back later today to read my review of this beautiful book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...