Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Review of Play by Piper Lawson

The bit on the back...

I'm Payton Blake. A successful, balanced twenty-something girl living the dream.

OK. So it's a big-ass lie.

I could be all of those things. If I had friends outside of work. And if I didn't mainline watermelon slushies like they were a food group. It wouldn't hurt if I'd had sex in the last year, either. (My best friend insists Jorge the Nightstand Boyfriend doesn't count.)
But when you know where you're headed, who needs to enjoy the ride?

Even if part of me longed for a little between-the-sheets adventure, Max Donovan would be the last guy I'd call.
Sure, he made the indie video game that broke the internet. His eyebrow piercing's sexy, in an 'are-you-in-a-band?' way, and fighting with him gets me off faster than Jorge on bezerker mode. But he's arrogant. Presumptuous. Colder than a cactus and twice as prickly.

None of it matters because I crave Max Donovan like a watermelon slushy on a hot summer day.
I should ignore him. But I can't, because he just became my biggest client. And whether he'll admit it or not, he needs me even more than I need him.

Game on, Max Donovan.


Firstly thank you to Victory Editing for the review copy of this title via Netgalley. I first read Stripped (review here) by Piper earlier this year and knew then that I'd be reading more from her in the future. The first thing that appealed to me about her latest novel, Play, was the blurb. I have a guilty habbit of wanting to read books based on the cover alone (doesn't he look like a young Captain America?!) but the promise of sparks between Max and Payton drew me to this one.

The story is all about main character and narrator Payton as she strives to prove her worth in her newly promoted position which leads her right to bad boy, gaming guru Max.

Payton is really down to earth which is one of the main things I liked about her. She's relatable and readers will be able to empathise with her easily. I think this definitely works in her advantage. She's true to herself throughout the book and not afraid to hold her own, especially when it comes to Max, although he does test her at times throughout the story!

Max and Payton get off on the wrong foot in the very beginning and that is the start of the spark between the pair of them. They bounce off each other and grow closer as they work on Max's new project until Payton is fully immersed in the gaming world.


I am a semi-proficient gamer but the complexities of the behind the scenes work that goes into making them is beyond me! The research is clear and while Piper does inject some gaming knowledge throughout it doesn't overwhelm the story as a whole. Payton's mom, her workmate Charlie and Max's business partner Riley round out the colourful and fun cast in this story. Check back in a few days for a Q&A with Piper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...