Monday, 17 October 2016

Review of We Were on a Break by Lindsey Kelk

The bit on the back...

Is it a break? Or is it a blip?

‘You’ve just had a holiday,’ I pointed out, trying not to yawn. ‘Wasn’t that enough of a break?’

‘I don’t mean that kind of break.’

There’s nothing worse than the last day of holiday. Oh wait, there is. When what should have been a proposal turns into a break, Liv and Adam find themselves on opposite sides of the life they had mapped out.

Friends and family all think they’re crazy; Liv throws herself into work – animals are so much simpler than humans – and Adam tries to get himself out of the hole he’s dug.

But as the short break becomes a chasm, can they find a way back to each other? Most importantly, do they want to?

Firstly thank you to Harper for the review copy of this title via NetGalley. I've been a fan of Lindsey's books since I first read I Heart New York years ago, so having the chance to read an early copy of her latest novel We Were on a Break was a privilege. You only have to read some of my reviews of her other novels to know that I LOVE her writing so you will know I was excited to start this!

The story is all about Liv and Adam when a proposal gone wrong ends with the pair taking an unexpected break from each other, their relationship and the lives they thought they had mapped out.

There are two things I love about Lindsey's writing. Firstly, her sense of humour and how it is injected into the characters and the narratives. The quips, one liners, self-deprecating characters and hilarious situations the characters find themselves in throughout this book will have you laughing from start to finish. Secondly is Lindsey's incredible knack for writing realistic, almost tangible characters that everyone will be able to identify with in some way.

I loved reading from both Liv and Adam's point of view throughout the book. I don't know if it was just because I'm a girl and can identify with Liv on that level, but I found myself thinking "oh, Adam what are you doing?" on more than one occasion throughout the book, sitting reading quietly then shaking my head at whatever miscommunication was currently unfolding. Not that that is to say all of the misunderstandings were Adam's fault! Liv and Adam try to contend with the minefield that has now become their relationship whilst also contending with their jobs and families which we all know are sometimes anything but simple!


If you're a fan of a fun, humour filled rom-com then buy this now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...